The stayers in the legal aid stakes are taken from figures 12 years ago where we compared the ‘veteran’ earners, headed by all-star legal aid lawyer Sonja Cooper, who received $1.5 million in the 2006/07 year and $1.7 million in the last year reported.
Ironically perhaps, Sonja Cooper’s firm makes its principal income from suing the Government funding them, handling psychiatric claims against the government on behalf of those abused under the previous mental health system.
Three other Wellington recipients who featured 10 years ago include Rainey Collins, Thomas Dewar and John Miller Law.
The major legal aid earners from 2010 and today (being as at the last reported ‘earnings season’ are below.
The 2010 Top 10 . . And Today
|Charl Hirschfeld* – 2.8m||n/a|
|Rainey Collins – 2.4m||565,000|
|Tamaki Legal – 1.8m||1.955m|
|Kensington Swan – 1.4m||138,000|
|Sonja Cooper – 1.2m||1.7m|
|Rangitauira & Co** – 1.08m||n/a|
|Thomas Dewar – 880,000||930,000|
|Te Nahu Lovell – 900,000||390,000|
|Shane Tait – 807,000||433,000|
|John Miller Law – 806,000||972,000|
*Charl Hirschfeld faced disciplinary proceedings in 2013 regarding his legal aid work, quitting handling the work, principally for Treaty of Waitangi claims, in 2011. He was paid around $8 million from legal aid work over a four year period. (NBR).
** John Rangitauira was jailed for fraud after being duped in an email scam involving an alleged inheritance of $27 million.
Latest on LawFuel
- The Mosque Shooting Firings: Marie Dyhrberg On The OutlookBarrister Marie Dyhrberg spoke to RNZ on the repercussions of Mosque massacre Accused Brenton Tarrant’s […]
- Retirement Delayed For Judge As Fundraising For Continuing Feltex Claim ContinuesThe long-running Feltex Carpets legal saga, which has seen a battle over the original prospectus […]
- El Chapo Prosecution Team Member Gina Parlovecchio joins Mayer Brown as partner in New YorkNew York, July 13, 2020 — Mayer Brown has continued the expansion of its regulatory, investigations […]
- The Harvard Law Grad Kiwi-Kurdish Survivor Now Prosecuting IS War CrimesIt doesn’t get much tougher for anyone that surviving a tough refugee camp, particularly if […]
- Law Enforcement Officer Charged With Stealing From Colleague’s Benevolent FundUnion Treasurer, a Police Officer, Also Charged With Obstruction of Justice and False Statements […]
- Blank Rome Continues Longstanding Partnership with Diversity Lab to Pilot ‘Mansfield Rule 4.0’Powered by LawFuel –Blank Rome LLP is pleased to announce that it is participating in Diversity […]
- Sidley Expands Private Equity Practice With the Addition of Partner Nicolai Schwarz-Gondek in Century CityCentury City – Powered by LawFuel– Sidley Austin LLP is pleased to announce that Nicolai Schwarz-Gondek has […]