The stayers in the legal aid stakes are taken from figures 12 years ago where we compared the ‘veteran’ earners, headed by all-star legal aid lawyer Sonja Cooper, who received $1.5 million in the 2006/07 year and $1.7 million in the last year reported.
Ironically perhaps, Sonja Cooper’s firm makes its principal income from suing the Government funding them, handling psychiatric claims against the government on behalf of those abused under the previous mental health system.
Three other Wellington recipients who featured 10 years ago include Rainey Collins, Thomas Dewar and John Miller Law.
The major legal aid earners from 2010 and today (being as at the last reported ‘earnings season’ are below.
The 2010 Top 10 . . And Today
|Charl Hirschfeld* – 2.8m||n/a|
|Rainey Collins – 2.4m||565,000|
|Tamaki Legal – 1.8m||1.955m|
|Kensington Swan – 1.4m||138,000|
|Sonja Cooper – 1.2m||1.7m|
|Rangitauira & Co** – 1.08m||n/a|
|Thomas Dewar – 880,000||930,000|
|Te Nahu Lovell – 900,000||390,000|
|Shane Tait – 807,000||433,000|
|John Miller Law – 806,000||972,000|
*Charl Hirschfeld faced disciplinary proceedings in 2013 regarding his legal aid work, quitting handling the work, principally for Treaty of Waitangi claims, in 2011. He was paid around $8 million from legal aid work over a four year period. (NBR).
** John Rangitauira was jailed for fraud after being duped in an email scam involving an alleged inheritance of $27 million.
Latest on LawFuel
- Whale Oil Defamation Trial Exposes ‘Dirty PR’Three public health advocates are relieved that their long-standing Whale Oil defamation trial against Cameron […] More
- What Can Law Firms And In-House Legal Departments Learn About Law Firm Diversity?AbovetheLaw ran this article from Cadence Counsel’s David Lat, who spoke with a Fortune 500 […] More
- Why Decorum Still Matters, Even In A ‘Zoom Court’Ken Broda-Bahm At this point, I will wager that we’ve all seen the hilarious video from the 394th […] More
- Litify Named by LawFuel, the Industry-Leading Legal Publication, as #1 in Practice Management Software for Law Firms, In-House Counsel, Government Entities and NonprofitsPrestigious “top pick” ranking follows a year of explosive growth for Litify across law firms, […] More
- What Do Legal Professionals Expect To Be The Biggest Legal Tech Trends in 2021?What are the biggest trends in legal tech in 2021? What are the types of […] More
- Tributes Flow For Former NZLS President and ‘Good, Kind Man’ Jonathan TemmTributes have flowed for former Law Society president Jonathan Temm, 58, who died this week. […] More
- LawFuel’s 2020 New Zealand Lawyer of the YearLawyer of the Year Sponsors LexisNexis New Zealand Staedtler – The pens successful lawyers […] More