The stayers in the legal aid stakes are taken from figures 12 years ago where we compared the ‘veteran’ earners, headed by all-star legal aid lawyer Sonja Cooper, who received $1.5 million in the 2006/07 year and $1.7 million in the last year reported.
Ironically perhaps, Sonja Cooper’s firm makes its principal income from suing the Government funding them, handling psychiatric claims against the government on behalf of those abused under the previous mental health system.
Three other Wellington recipients who featured 10 years ago include Rainey Collins, Thomas Dewar and John Miller Law.
The major legal aid earners from 2010 and today (being as at the last reported ‘earnings season’ are below.
The 2010 Top 10 . . And Today
|Charl Hirschfeld* – 2.8m||n/a|
|Rainey Collins – 2.4m||565,000|
|Tamaki Legal – 1.8m||1.955m|
|Kensington Swan – 1.4m||138,000|
|Sonja Cooper – 1.2m||1.7m|
|Rangitauira & Co** – 1.08m||n/a|
|Thomas Dewar – 880,000||930,000|
|Te Nahu Lovell – 900,000||390,000|
|Shane Tait – 807,000||433,000|
|John Miller Law – 806,000||972,000|
*Charl Hirschfeld faced disciplinary proceedings in 2013 regarding his legal aid work, quitting handling the work, principally for Treaty of Waitangi claims, in 2011. He was paid around $8 million from legal aid work over a four year period. (NBR).
** John Rangitauira was jailed for fraud after being duped in an email scam involving an alleged inheritance of $27 million.
Latest on LawFuel
- Working From Home Has Its Challenges… Small Things Employers Can Do to HelpBy Rebecca Hudson What’s the Problem: My daycare and commuting circumstances have changed and I would like […]
- Smart Search launches dedicated anti-money laundering service for businesses adapting to remote workingExperts advise businesses to invest in automated AML platforms as workforces and customers move to […]
- Law Firm Launches Consulting Service To Complement Legal ServicesPowered by LawFuel – International law firm Ashurst has broadened its client offering with the […]
- Promotions To Principals at Todd & WalkerTODD & WALKER Law is extremely proud to be able to announce some positive news […]
- DWF Growth Slowed By Coronavirus Effect As Shares SlumpListed law firm DWF slumped after an announcement (below) announcing reduced revenues and sending the […]
- Modern Slavery is A Growing Problem Across the World4-5.co.nz – Inextricably linked with organised crime groups, it covers a far wider range of […]
- Littler COVID-19 Survey Reveals Top Employer Concerns and Workplace ImplicationsPowered by LawFuel – (March 30, 2020) – Littler, the world’s largest employment and labor law […]