The stayers in the legal aid stakes are taken from figures 12 years ago where we compared the ‘veteran’ earners, headed by all-star legal aid lawyer Sonja Cooper, who received $1.5 million in the 2006/07 year and $1.7 million in the last year reported.
Ironically perhaps, Sonja Cooper’s firm makes its principal income from suing the Government funding them, handling psychiatric claims against the government on behalf of those abused under the previous mental health system.
Three other Wellington recipients who featured 10 years ago include Rainey Collins, Thomas Dewar and John Miller Law.
The major legal aid earners from 2010 and today (being as at the last reported ‘earnings season’ are below.
The 2010 Top 10 . . And Today
|Charl Hirschfeld* – 2.8m||n/a|
|Rainey Collins – 2.4m||565,000|
|Tamaki Legal – 1.8m||1.955m|
|Kensington Swan – 1.4m||138,000|
|Sonja Cooper – 1.2m||1.7m|
|Rangitauira & Co** – 1.08m||n/a|
|Thomas Dewar – 880,000||930,000|
|Te Nahu Lovell – 900,000||390,000|
|Shane Tait – 807,000||433,000|
|John Miller Law – 806,000||972,000|
*Charl Hirschfeld faced disciplinary proceedings in 2013 regarding his legal aid work, quitting handling the work, principally for Treaty of Waitangi claims, in 2011. He was paid around $8 million from legal aid work over a four year period. (NBR).
** John Rangitauira was jailed for fraud after being duped in an email scam involving an alleged inheritance of $27 million.
Latest on LawFuel
- Controversial Australian Law Firm Proposes Anti-Jab Fight In $10 Million FundraiseAustralian law firm proposes class action lawsuit over anti-vax order
- How To Create a Positive Company Culture and Prioritize Employee SatisfactionBusiness leaders look at the key characteristics helping to build business success Ray Bharara* Company …
- Pro Bono Partner Promoted At Ireland’s Largest Law FirmMatheson, Ireland’s largest law firm, has appointed Niamh Counihan as Pro Bono Partner. Niamh will dedicate 50% …
- NZ Law Society’s New President From DLA Piper Has Work To Do
- 95% of Legal Professionals Believe Cloud-Based Ediscovery Will Become Industry Norm Within 2 YearsOAKLAND, Calif., July 28, 2021 /LawFuel.com/– The cloud is the future for legal professionals, according to …
- Civil Fraud Lawsuit Against Clothing Companies Over Custom Duty Avoidance SettledDefendants to Pay $6 Million and Admit to Engaging in Fraudulent Schemes Involving Use of …
- What Law Technology Solutions & Challenges Will Define The Successful Law Firm of the FutureLaw technology solutions abound – but how many are actually needed by a small- to …