The stayers in the legal aid stakes are taken from figures 12 years ago where we compared the ‘veteran’ earners, headed by all-star legal aid lawyer Sonja Cooper, who received $1.5 million in the 2006/07 year and $1.7 million in the last year reported.
Ironically perhaps, Sonja Cooper’s firm makes its principal income from suing the Government funding them, handling psychiatric claims against the government on behalf of those abused under the previous mental health system.
Three other Wellington recipients who featured 10 years ago include Rainey Collins, Thomas Dewar and John Miller Law.
The major legal aid earners from 2010 and today (being as at the last reported ‘earnings season’ are below.
The 2010 Top 10 . . And Today
|Charl Hirschfeld* – 2.8m||n/a|
|Rainey Collins – 2.4m||565,000|
|Tamaki Legal – 1.8m||1.955m|
|Kensington Swan – 1.4m||138,000|
|Sonja Cooper – 1.2m||1.7m|
|Rangitauira & Co** – 1.08m||n/a|
|Thomas Dewar – 880,000||930,000|
|Te Nahu Lovell – 900,000||390,000|
|Shane Tait – 807,000||433,000|
|John Miller Law – 806,000||972,000|
*Charl Hirschfeld faced disciplinary proceedings in 2013 regarding his legal aid work, quitting handling the work, principally for Treaty of Waitangi claims, in 2011. He was paid around $8 million from legal aid work over a four year period. (NBR).
** John Rangitauira was jailed for fraud after being duped in an email scam involving an alleged inheritance of $27 million.
Latest on LawFuel
- The Legal Ladies Adding A Fresh, Gender-Balanced Addition To “Footie”Gender diversity has reached the higher echelons of New Zealand Rugby (we can only wait …
- Morgan Lewis Recruit Structured Transactions Partner in LondonLONDON, April 22, 2022 – Powered by LawFuel – Morgan Lewis continues to expand its …
- Is The Lawyer on Demand Model Working – Should Lawyers Adopt the Model?Axiom has been successful with its Lawyer on Demand model, but it may not suit …
- Rotorua Lawyer Kiri Tahana Appointed to High Court>> Your Next Law Job Is Here . . Read About It Rotorua barrister and …
- The 3 Lawyers With 129 Years’ Experience Make Legal ‘Career’ Move>> See NZ’s Best Law Jobs Network for Your New Law Job Here Three senior …
- Australia’s ‘Ones to Watch’ in the Young Best Lawyer ListThe ‘Best Lawyer’s list for 2022 has been published with a first-time list of some …
- NZ Law Firm Boutique firm Succeed Legal Continues to Grow>> New Zealand’s Best Law Jobs Network – Here’s Your New Job Boutique Wellington firm …