Law firm Gilbert + Tobin underpaid its graduates almost $300,000 over a six year period because “crushing work hours” dragged them below the minimum hourly rate, despite their graduate salaries being among the highest in the market, a report from the Australian Financial Review reports.
The firm said that around 50 graduates would be receiving backpayments to meet their payment obligations, ranging from $300 to more than $15,000 after they found $290,000 in underpayments from staff working long hours, nights and weekends.
The firm had previous made the news when it was revealed that SafeWork NSW was again investigating the firm after a complaint last year about workplace fatigue and hours.
In an email to staff , G+T Managing Partner Danny Gilbert said long hours were “a reality of life” for corporate lawyers as “we operate in a very demanding environment”.
He told the AFR the firm had had a “hard-working reputation for 32 years” and the complaint was by “some disaffected person”.
When asked about the law firm’s reputation among law students for overworking staff, Mr Gilbert said: “I don’t like it, but I’m open about the fact we’re hardworking here and I don’t think we’re any different to other firms at the top of the market.”
Read More LawFuel’s Law Firm News Here
- What Can Law Firms And In-House Legal Departments Learn About Law Firm Diversity?AbovetheLaw ran this article from Cadence Counsel’s David Lat, who spoke […] More
- UK Law Survey Shows COVID-19 Widens Gap Between City and Regional Law FirmsThe pandemic has created major changes and, in some cases, opportunities […] More
- The New Zealand Law Profession’s Unceremonious ‘Third Anniversary’ Of Workplace Bullying & HarassmentJohn Bowie* It’s an anniversary that the New Zealand law profession […] More
- Otago All-Women Law Firm Celebrate International Women’s DayIt’s on 8 March, in case you didn’t know, but for […] More
- Linklaters Set To Join The Ranks Of The Female Law Firm LeadersThree candidates left in the race to succeed Charlie Jacobs as […] More
- PageOne Legal eDiscovery Service Celebrate 15 years’ BusinessNASHVILLE, Tenn., Feb. 22, 2021 Powered by LawFuel — Page One Legal, an eDiscovery […] More
- The Legal 500 – Who Are 2021 New Zealand Power Law Firms on The Legal 500 Rankings?Watch For LawFuel’s Power List 2021 – Arriving Soon The Legal […] More