Powered by LawFuel – 17 September 2020 – Global law firm DLA Piper has advised media giant Discovery Inc. on its agreement to purchase MediaWorks’ TV business, comprising of: free-to-air channels, Three, Bravo, Three+1, Bravo+1, The Edge TV and The Breeze TV; streaming service ThreeNow; and multi-platform news and current affairs service Newshub.
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment and is known in New Zealand for its pay TV channels Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Food Network, Living and Discovery Turbo and free-to-air channels HGTV and Choice TV.
DLA Piper’s team was led by Auckland-based corporate partner Reuben Woods and senior associate Sam Wilson. IPT partner Nick Valentine advised on the media and transitional services aspects of the deal and competition partner Alicia Murray gave regulatory advice.
Reuben Woods said, “Discovery is a long-standing and significant client of the global firm and we are delighted to have assisted Discovery on what will be its most significant free-to-air investment in the New Zealand market to date following completion”.
The transaction is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
- The 2023 LawFuel Gender Survey of New Zealand Law FirmsWomen In New Zealand Law – The 2023 Stats As women are the majority of lawyers in New Zealand and as gender …
- Meet New Zealand’s New Attorney GeneralNew Attorney General of New Zealand Judith Collins
- The Legal Dealmaker-Turned-Investment Banker Silvana Schenone Makes 2023 Power ListFormer MinterEllisonRuddWatts partner Silvana Schenone may no longer be at the legal coal face, but her role with leading New Zealand-owned investment …
- Gen Z in Da House: Cranmer CommentsThe ‘Confrontational’ Approach To Treaty Issues Thomas Cranmer* A younger, newer brand of politics is about to become a feature of the …
- Bullying, Harassment, and Discrimination: The New Zealand Legal Profession’s Uphill Battle for ChangeNew Zealand Law Society report shows the profession still faces bullying and harassment issues
- Andrew Little Powers Into LawFuel’s 2023 Power ListFormer senior Labour MP Andrew Little joins the LawFuel Power List following his resignation from parliament
Other Law Firm Press Releases
- NZ Law News: Hesketh Henry Appoints New Managing PartnerNZ Law News
- Former Kirkland’s Tech lawyer Moves to Paul, WeissThe ongoing lateral moves of lawyers from Kirkland & Ellis to Paul Weiss …
- A Y Strauss Welcome Commercial Real Estate Partner in New YorkReal estate law firm in New York welcomes new partner
- What to Ask Your Criminal Defense Attorney in Cincinnati: Essential FAQsCincinnati defense attorney
- Kirkland & Ellis Appoint Tax Lawyer From MacfarlanesKirkland & Ellis appoint tax lawyer from macfarlanes