The world is changing. The move towards a more digital economy has been rapid. People are starting to think more urgently about climate change and the importance of sustainability, and the notion of “consumer welfare” is evolving.
All while the benefits of free trade are being deeply questioned. The spotlight is firmly on competition policy and enforcement to answer many of the difficult questions that these issues present, sometimes reaching far beyond their traditional remit.
This means that dealmakers should expect increasingly intrusive and political enforcement this year, with more rigorous examination of mergers and broader M&A strategies, particularly in the digital space.
Renewed interest in industrial policy objectives and the continuing roll out of stricter foreign investment regimes will also play their part. Mounting social and political pressure to pro-actively tackle climate change may spark a pivot towards putting more emphasis on environmental policy in the application of competition rules. And companies selling their products and services online will need to be on top of new rules and guidance expected this year in response to the profound impact of e-commerce on distribution systems and strategies.
See Other Law Briefs
- 5 Tips For Navigating Your First Personal Injury CasePersonal injury cases in the US are a common occurrence. Based on data from the … Read more
- Unlock the Full Potential of Your Law Firm Marketing: 7 Automation Tips for Law FirmsBenjamin Boman* – Marketing automation seems to be a popular but not well-defined topic outside … Read more
- Finding the Right Environmental Lawyer for You: How to Choose the Best Fit for Your NeedsEnvironment law is one of the fastest-growing areas of legal practice, with specialist firms and … Read more
- Key Steps To Obtaining The Best Branding Packages For Small BusinessesWhen selecting branding packages for a small business – including law firms and other professional … Read more
- Everything You Need to Know About Condo Property Damage LawsuitsLaura Byers – Condo property damage lawsuits are not an uncommon occurrence unfortunately and dealing … Read more
- 5 Legal Transcription Companies Your Law Firm Should Consider UsingHow do you choose from all the legal transcription companies the one that you can work with? We have listed five top choices.
- 7 Factors That Can Make Personal Injury Lawsuits More Complicated than They Need BeWe are often asked about personal injury lawsuits in terms of the ‘risk factors’ and … Read more
- Clifford Chance: The metaverse: When is real estate no longer real?Approximately US$2 billion worth of ‘land’ has changed hands so far this year without a … Read more
- Cochlear Implants: An Illustrious History Marred With ComplicationsThe only sensation that a medical instrument can accurately reproduce is hearing. A device known … Read more
- Music Licensing and Copyright – all You Need to KnowLaura Symes* You are a musician, not a lawyer, right? When it comes to working … Read more