Metro Denver Bank Robber Sentenced to Prison

DENVER (LAWFUEL) – Patrick Alan McCuaig, age 28, of Salida, Colorado, was sentenced this week to serve 92 months (over 7 and ½ years) in federal prison for bank robbery, United States Attorney Troy Eid and FBI Special Agent in Charge James Davis announced today. The sentence was pronounced by Senior U.S. District Court Judge John L. Kane. McCuaig was remanded into custody and ordered to start serving his sentence immediately.

Patrick Alan McCuaig was charged by Criminal Complaint on January 25, 2008. He was indicted by a federal grand jury in Denver on January 28, 2008. He pled guilty before Senior U.S. District Court Judge John L. Kane on August 21, 2008. McCuaig was sentenced on November 4, 2008.

According to the indictment, as well as the stipulated facts contained in the plea agreement, on January 15, 2008, at approximately 12:45 p.m., McCuaig walked into the U.S. Bank located at 3100 South Sheridan Boulevard, in Denver. He approached a bank teller, where he passed her a note stating that he had a bomb and a gun. McCuaig got away with $2,478.00.

On January 21, 2008, at approximately 3:15 pm, McCuaig walked into the TCF Bank located at 9660 North Washington Street, in Thornton. There he handed a bank teller a note, which stated that he had a bomb and will use it. McCuaig got away with $4,534.90. Just prior to the TCF Bank robbery, the defendant went to a nearby Conoco gas station, where he put gas in his car, and then left without paying. Witnesses to both bank robberies were able to give authorities a description of McCuaig’s get-away car, a 1984 Honda Accord. Authorities believe that he did not have a bomb during either robbery.

On January 24, 2008, Lakewood Police Officers responded to a report involving a mobile home towing a car at the intersection of West 20th Avenue and Kipling Street. Agents who responded to the intersection spotted and immediately recognized the 1984 Honda. McCuaig was contacted by Lakewood agents. He resisted arrest, and, after a struggle, was taken into custody. McCuaig’s girlfriend, Jessica Garrett, remained in the mobile home. She initially refused to leave. When she did produce herself from a concealed area inside the motor home, Lakewood Police officers believed that she pointed a gun at an officer, prompting a Lakewood officer to shoot at her. Garrett then barricaded herself in the mobile home. After an extended stand-off, lasting some 5 hours, which involved the Jefferson County Sheriff’s SWAT team, she eventually exited the motor home. When she was taken into custody officers found that she had suffered a single gunshot wound to her upper left arm area.

Jessica Garrett was prosecuted by the First Judicial District Attorney’s Office.

“Bank robbery can trigger all kinds of unintended consequences, including hard time in federal prison,” said United States Attorney Troy Eid.

“Robbing a bank does not pay, you will get caught,” said FBI Special Agent in Charge James Davis. “This case is an example of why effective law enforcement and crime prevention methods work when all law enforcement partners join together. The collaborative effort between all agencies, including prosecutors, yields results, and removes dangerous individuals from the streets.”

This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Rocky Mountain Safe Streets Task Force, the Lakewood Police Department, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team, and the Denver Police Department.

This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Greg Holloway.

Scroll to Top