Law firm mergers will be well down on what occurred in 2019, but have picked up after the early days of the pandemic, according to Bloomberg Law.
Law firms registered 20 combinations from July through September, up from a near-decade low of seven in the second quarter. However that doesn’t come anywhere near the 115 US ‘combinations’ last year, compared to 44 in 2020.
The COVID crisis saw firms taking some time to adjust to what was occurring after organizing lawyer relocations and restructuring to deal with the pandemic, which then lead to their thoughts on the way ahead to strengthen their practices.
“I think you’ll see additional engagement once firms are past their budgeting for next year, and decide if, and how long, they will stay remote,” said Tom Clay, an Altman Weil principal who tracks mergers. “The pandemic put the brakes on but midsize and larger firms are beginning to reengage in strategies to acquire smaller firms.”
Global firm Dentons chalked up the biggest deal of the third quarter, announcing a combination with 96-lawyer Durham Jones & Pinegar, in Salt Lake City, a merger that is part of Denton’s “golden spike” strategy to create an alliance of law firms around the country.
Three large law firms made more typical acquisitions in adding smaller firms for practice expertise.
K&L Gates picked up three-lawyer firm Richards Patent Law, in Chicago. Bond Schoeneck added The Wolford Law Firm, a three-lawyer litigation boutique in Rochester, N.Y. Miles & Stockbridge acquired Taylor & Ryan, a two-lawyer immigration firm in Pikesville, Md.
- The Most Influential Women in New Zealand LawThe most influential women in New Zealand law revealed
- How to Boost Your Law Firm’s Online Visibility: Key Tips For Law Firm SEO in 2023Boost your law firm’s online visibility with these key tips using tactics in 2023 including great law firm content marketing tactics.
- 5 Reasons Why Every Small Business Should Hire a Business Attorney . . From A Small Business Legal ExpertSmall businesses are the backbone of the American economy, and as such, they must be protected. Every small business owner …
5 Reasons Why Every Small Business Should Hire a Business Attorney . . From A Small Business Legal Expert Read More »
- Lawyers in Australia Face Big Decisions: Which Firms to Join, Which to Leave in 2023?Last week, Lawyers Weekly and Momentum Intelligence released their rankings of the Top 25 Attraction Firms for 2022-23. The annual …
Lawyers in Australia Face Big Decisions: Which Firms to Join, Which to Leave in 2023? Read More »
- 8 Insights into the Role of HR in Law Office ManagementJacqui Coombe* Law offices occupy a special niche in the services industry, with stringent rules on confidentiality and standards. The …
8 Insights into the Role of HR in Law Office Management Read More »
- State of the US Legal Market 2023 – Is It Armageddon or Happy Days?A swift rebound from setbacks has now seen unprecedented concerns about the state of the legal market, but is it something we need to freak out about?