Working from a partner’s office is hardly something most younger lawyers would dare attempt, but it is part of the new, COVID norm apparently.
Increasingly there has been debate about just how sacrosanct the partner’s office should be.
As Law.com reported, a law firm partner’s identity and bravado can be shaped by many things, including a hefty pay packet and legal directory rankings. But a specific source of pride has always been the partner’s office.
As law firms realize they do not need their current real estate overheads and ‘footprint’ they are doing so with Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in London moving to offices that are reportedly about 20 per cent smaller than their previous office space.
Freshfields’ lawyers move into their new offices at 100 Bishopsgate office later this year when the firm is planning to operate an ‘office release system’ which means someone else can use your office if you are working remotely.
“If you’re not there, you give your office up”, London managing partner Claire Wills told the website Legal Week while another partner, who isn’t named, said lockdown had shown that “people do not need rooms full of paper and offices in the traditional sense.”
“I used to think I could not work without precedents around me but it’s more a comfort blanket. We’ve been at home without any of this stuff and most people are busy.”Legal Week
Just how the practice works when the new offices come on stream is another question, but it is something that will take more than just a change in mindset over ‘real estate footprint’ and have perhaps more to do with partner ego and prestige. Therein lies a major obstacle.
Your Views on the Partner Office?
- How to Boost Your Law Firm’s Online Visibility: Key Tips For Law Firm SEO in 2023Boost your law firm’s online visibility with these key tips using tactics in 2023 including great law firm content marketing tactics.
- 5 Reasons Why Every Small Business Should Hire a Business Attorney . . From A Small Business Legal ExpertSmall businesses are the backbone of the American economy, and as such, they must be protected. Every small business owner should have …
5 Reasons Why Every Small Business Should Hire a Business Attorney . . From A Small Business Legal Expert Read More »
- Lawyers in Australia Face Big Decisions: Which Firms to Join, Which to Leave in 2023?Last week, Lawyers Weekly and Momentum Intelligence released their rankings of the Top 25 Attraction Firms for 2022-23. The annual survey is …
Lawyers in Australia Face Big Decisions: Which Firms to Join, Which to Leave in 2023? Read More »
- 8 Insights into the Role of HR in Law Office ManagementJacqui Coombe* Law offices occupy a special niche in the services industry, with stringent rules on confidentiality and standards. The legal industry …
8 Insights into the Role of HR in Law Office Management Read More »
- State of the US Legal Market 2023 – Is It Armageddon or Happy Days?A swift rebound from setbacks has now seen unprecedented concerns about the state of the legal market, but is it something we need to freak out about?