Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 – Every year thousands of people are bitten by dogs including victims in Los Angeles County (Read more), and because of this each year the statistics are gathered. These statistics show that each year the highest number of humans bitten by dogs are children and this end in many cases with injuries to the head and face. Getting chomped on by a large canine can lead to a catastrophic eventuality, such as rabies, severe lacerations, and in extreme cases, loss of life, or a limb.
Some percentages that show yearly dog bite statistics and what they show:
- Each year there are approximately 4.7 million reported dog bite attacks in the United States and it is suspected that there are many dog bite attacks that are not reported to the authorities.
- The numbers gathered for dog bite attacks involving children according to the American Medical Association are in the number two spot after playground injuries.
- In the year 2003 in the United States there were more than 3,400 postal carriers that suffered dog bite attacks. Statistics since that year show an estimated 2,850 U.S. Postal Carriers suffer dog bite attacks.
- Dog that were considered strays were low in numbers for dog bite attacks while the number was much higher for canines whose owners had them licensed.
- Canines who were not familiar with the victim were between ten and twenty percent of reported dog bit attacks.
- Canines that were responsible for approximately two thirds of dog bite attacks were Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, German Shepard, Husky and Alaskan Malamute. Of these breed the Pit Bull were responsible for twice the amount of dog bite attacks as the other breeds, along with more than half of the fatal dog bite attacks.
- During the year 1996 to 1996 there were approximately twenty-five deaths that were directly associated with dog bite attacks.
- Approximately one third of the homeowner’s insurance policies that are paid out nationwide are associated with dog bite attacks.
- Research shows that the most dog bite attacks occur in the month of August and this is believed this is because of the long hot daylight hours along with the combination of more adults and children spending time outside and at gatherings.
These are just some of the yearly dog bite statistics and what they show is how many dog bite attacks occur on an average and what breeds of canines are more apt to attack. This is including both bodily harm, and fatal dog bite attacks in Los Angeles and it includes assaults that have occurred statewide. The statistics also show that children suffer dog bite attacks more often than adults even to the point of sending an amount of children to the emergency room in numbers that supersedes most other childhood injuries.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a dog bite attack, there are experienced legal counsel that can be reached at 888-400-9721.
[schema type=”organization” orgtype=”LocalBusiness” url=”http://www.ehlinelaw.com/” name=”Ehline Law Firm PC” street=”633 W 5th St #2890″ city=”Los Angeles” state=”CA” postalcode=”90071″ country=”US” phone=”1.213.596.9642″ ]