The American Bar Association has created a national task force of volunteer lawyers to assist ‘ordinary Americans’ to deal with the coronavirus pandemic.
Described as ‘The Task Force on Legal Needs Arising Out of the 2020 Pandemic’ it includes representatives from major US legal organizations and will work to identify legal needs arising from the pandemic, make recommendations to address those needs and help mobilize volunteer lawyers and legal professionals for people who need help.
Chaired by James J. Sandman, former president of the Legal Services Corporation, the nation’s largest funder of civil legal aid for low-income Americans. Sandman is also former managing partner of Arnold & Porter LLP and past president of the District of Columbia Bar Association.
“As the pandemic spreads, thousands of Americans will need help – not just with medical issues but also with legal issues, including lost jobs, evictions, insurance claims, family emergencies and obtaining government benefits they need to survive,” ABA President Judy Perry Martinez (pictured above) said.
“Those who come before our criminal justice system will face additional challenges as jobs are lost, the inability to pay fines and fees escalates and we face a greater risk of detentions. In times of crisis, lawyers help. With this task force, we will start by looking for where the need is greatest and where we can make the biggest difference for people in dire situations.”
The ABA Journal reports that the task force includes experts in disaster response; health law; insurance; legal needs of families to protect basic human needs such as food, shelter, medical and employment benefits; criminal justice; domestic violence; civil rights and social justice. The group includes representatives from:
- The Conference of Chief Justices
- The National Center for State Courts
- The National Association of Bar Executives
- The National Conference of Bar Presidents
- The National Conference of Bar Foundations
- The Legal Services Corporation
- The National Legal Aid & Defender Association
- The Association of Pro Bono Counsel
- Sections and committees within the ABA
- Law Firm Bonus News: The Cravaths Bonuses Arrive At A Time of COVID ‘Thank You’ BonusesThe gold standard for law firm bonuses is generally whatever Cravaths decides to do and now, […]
- The Power-Lifting, In-House Lawyer Who Dismisses a Harvey Specter Comparison & Rises To CEOIt was not difficult for in-house lawyer Patrick Gamble to shrug off a comparison made by […]
- The Splendour & Sustainability of Chapman Tripp – Who Said The Law Office Was Dead?Chapman Tripp’s new digs in the Commercial Bay development spare little expense, as befits one of […]
- Russell McVeagh Works with EQC On New Natural Disaster ApproachRussell McVeagh has been working alongside the Earthquake Commission (EQC) on a project that will see EQC work […]
- The Stealthy Tactic To Choose The Right SEO Keywords That is Guaranteed To Boost Your Law Firm SEO In The Next 30 Days. . and yet hardly anyone is doing it How do you choose the right keywords […]
- ‘Fake News’, Says Jones Day Over US Election Voter Fraud Challenge . . But The News RemainsThe chaotic US election has been enveloped in the ‘voter fraud’ controversy, which has also largely […]
- Boies Schiller Continues to Make the News . . Some Not So GoodHigh flying and aggressive US-based law firm Boies Schiller continues to make the news, the latest […]
- Top Social Media Attorneys Join Coinbase And Growing Legal TeamCryptocurrency firm Coinbase continues to expand its legal team with two latest recruits, including one from […]
- The Coming Google Page Experience Update – And How To Avoid An Adverse ReactionAnother major Google update is coming next year, which will affect a lot of websites that […]
- Clifford Chance Litigation Guide App AnnouncedClifford Chance – In an increasingly global world, it is more likely than ever that litigators […]
- Boies Schiller Rises In Recent Chambers UK GuideBoies Schiller Flexner’s London office has risen to Band 4 in the Banking Litigation category, and […]