Powered by LawFuel – LOS ANGELES – A California lawyer practising in Orange County was arrested today on a federal grand jury indictment charging her with conspiring to sell firearms without a license and distributing methamphetamine.
Melinda Romines, 41, of Anaheim, was taken into federal custody this morning. She is expected to make her initial court appearance this afternoon in United States District Court in Los Angeles.
Romines has been charged with one count of conspiracy to engage in the business of dealing in firearms without a license, one count of possession of an unregistered firearm, and two counts of distributing methamphetamine.
According to the indictment returned last week, Romines – who does not have federal firearms license issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) – found firearms available for purchase from black market firearms dealers. She then acted as a broker between the black market dealers and customers, ultimately buying the firearms from the dealers and then re-selling them to customers, the indictment alleges.
For example, in a Los Angeles parking lot in May 2018, Romines allegedly sold two firearms – a .40-caliber pistol and an AR-type .45-caliber rifle, both lacking serial numbers – as well as a silencer and a high-capacity magazine with approximately 20 rounds of ammunition in a transaction that netted her $2,600. In October 2018, in another Los Angeles parking lot, she sold a .45-caliber pistol and ammunition to a buyer for $900, the indictment alleges.
Romines also allegedly sold nearly a quarter-pound of methamphetamine in two transactions in October and November 2018.
A second defendant named in the indictment – Seaira Benson, a.k.a. “Relli,” 27, of Los Angeles – is been charged along with Romines with one count of distributing approximately 111 grams of methamphetamine. Authorities are currently seeking Benson.
An indictment contains allegations that a defendant has committed a crime. Every defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
The ATF investigated this case, which was conducted with the support of the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (OCDETF).
This matter is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Brittney M. Harris of the International Narcotics, Money Laundering, and Racketeering Section and Rachel N. Agress of the General Crimes Section.
Release No. 20-023
More Headlines From LawFuel
- David Lat Trials New Virus Drug And In Critical ConditionAbovetheLaw founder David Lat is in critical condition and has been put on a ventilator as he battles coronavirus and is also placed … Read more
- What “AbovetheLaw” Founder David Lat Says About His Coronavirus Infection . . And What We Need To DoLawyer David Lat has reported on legal matters for many years as founder of the 'AbovetheLaw' legal blog, but the now-legal recruiter is … Read more
- Did This Lawyer’s Coronavirus Concerns Lead to The Jury Trial SuspensionExperienced Wellington criminal lawyer Mike Antunovic criticised the Ministry of Justice for continuing with jury trials in the midst of the COVID-19 crisis. … Read more
- Women in Law: The Weil Women Making a DifferenceLawFuel focuses much attention on women lawyers globally and more law firms are moving beyond lip service towards women lawyers by providing some … Read more
- Prominent New Zealand Lawyer Andrew Hooker Dies in Australian Motorcycle AccidentFormer class action legal leader Andrew Hooker has died in Australia following a motorcycle crash. Mr Hooker, 55, who was most famous for … Read more
- Top Women Lawyers Talk About Ways to Bridge Inequality GapWhat questions both men and women need to do to permit women lawyers to advance in the profession Gender balance and inequality in … Read more
- The Legal Aid List: The Top 10 Legal Aid Earners Under $1 MillionJohn Miller Aside from the million dollar legal aid earners, the top 20 legal aid earners under the million mark had Wellington ACC … Read more
- The Legal Aid List: The Million Dollar Law FirmsThe law firms making the most from legal aid in the last reported year. Top national legal aid recipients 2018/19 New Zealand's legal aid … Read more
- DLA Piper Lawyer Named Labor & Employment Lawyer of the YearDLA Piper’s Holly R. Lake named Labor and Employment Lawyer of the Year by Century City Bar Association March 3, 2020 – The Century … Read more