The COVID-19 or Corona Virus continues to disrupt law firms globally with law firms continuing to take radical measures to control the spread of the virus.
In New York, Quinn Emanuel Urquart & Sullivan kept its offices closed following the positive testing of a partner, while Simmons & Simmons and Latham Watkins both suspended partner conferences.
In London, Reed Smith sent its staff home and Taylor Wessing closed its office after a staff member tested positive.
A spokesperson for Reed Smith said in a statement: ‘With the uncertainty and the rapidly evolving situation around the COVID-19 outbreak, Reed Smith has decided to take additional preventative steps to protect our people, our clients and the firm’s business continuity.’
Taylor Wessing also cancelled its international partner conference which was planned for later this month.
A number of other law firms have also announced measures to respond to the pandemic.
Hogan Lovells is testing large-scale remote working for its UK and US offices to reduce the risk of COVID-19. Half of its US employees worked from home this week.
The transatlantic firm has already got its staff in China, Italy and Spain to work from home as these countries imposed stringent measures to contain the spread of the virus.
But Growing legal demand
But the Corona Virus has seen a surge in demand from commercial clients seeking advice on how to handle the issues stemming from the pandemic.
The Financial Times reported that Lawyers said they were experiencing increases in calls and client queries of 25 per cent or more as a result of legal issues stemming from the outbreak.
“We’re in uncharted territory here,” said Aoife Keane, a disputes partner at Seddons. “As far as I can remember nothing has had the same ramification for business to business contracts and the supply chain.”
Recently on LawFuel
- Legal Futurists Talk About The Rush To Technology That Has Lawyers Confronting Their Digital FutureThe pandemic has altered the lives for everyone and a recent report in the […]
- Freshfields Joins Slim Ranks of Big Law Firm Female Leaders As Gender Diversity Moves Slowly GrowDan Garner – Female law firm leadership ranks are growing – albeit slowly – […]
- GM Launches $2 Billion Strategic Partnership with Electric Vehicle Pioneer NikolaPowered by LawFuel – Paul, Weiss is representing General Motors Co. in a strategic […]
- Megyn KellyThe LawFuel Lawyer Celebs List Former Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly qualified in law […]
- Gal GadotThe LawFuel Lawyer Celebs List Israeli actress Gal Gadot was Miss Israel in 2004 […]
- Racehorse Doping Charges: Defendants On “the supply side of a market of greed that continues to endanger racehorses through the sale of performance-enhancing drugs”.TWO PLEAD GUILTY TO RACEHORSE DOPING CHARGES Audrey Strauss, the Acting United States Attorney […]
- Kramon & Graham boosts senior administrative team with new appointmentsPowered by LawFuel – Baltimore, MD (September 16, 2020) — Kramon & Graham, a […]
- Buchalter Expands Its Tax and Estate Planning Practices with the Addition of Two New Shareholders in Los Angeles and San DiegoPowered by LawFuel – Buchalter is pleased to announce the welcome additions of Joseph […]
- 3 Strategies Lawyers Are Using Successfully to Prosper With Remote Working ConditionsJen Dezso* Remote working has proven to be largely a success — at least […]