Lawyer of the Year and NZ Law Society President Tiana Epani is the ‘lead’ in a new movie from “Jojo Rabbit” producer Chelsea Winstanley.
Winstanley’s new movie, The Appeal, about a landmark legal case in New Zealand involving the defence of a former gang member by Tiana Epani and which challengews the prejudices within the justice system and the bias against Maori.
Online entertainment site Deadline described the movie thus: The feature tells the story of Samoan lawyer Tiana Epati who defended a former gang member in a leading case that challenged prejudices within the criminal justice system and highlighted racial bias against the country’s Māori population.
Chelsea Winstanley has a new company based in Los Angeles and New Zealand and is intent upon producing “authentic stories with unique cultural perspectives.”
Based in Los Angeles and New Zealand, the new company will focus on storytelling and will act as a vehicle for Winstanley’s own writing and directing projects.
Winstanley is fresh off producing the Scarlet Johansson-led “Jojo Rabbit,” a satirical film about a boy in Nazi Germany who finds out his mom is harboring a Jewish girl in their home. The film has been nominated for six Academy Awards this year, including Best Picture.
In a LinkedIn post, Tiana Epati said “Friends for over 30 years, I have watched Chelsea evolve over the decades into an authentic, sophisticated and creatively gifted film maker”, adding . . “the best is yet to come.”
Winstanley is to both direct and produce the Tiana Epati movie.
“As I enter this new decade of my career, I also strive to engage as a writer and director to give the cinema an opportunity to present stories that have never been told before,” said Winstanley in a press statement announcing her new company.
The news of her Oscar nomination for ‘Jojo Rabbit’ also drew the congratulatory post on LinkedIn from Tiana Epati:
The LawFuel Interview with Tiana Epati
Chelsea Winstanley speaks
Other Female Power List Stars
Recent Posts on LawFuel
- Former MinterEllison M&A Partner Joins Squire Patton BoggsPowered by LawFuel – The momentum continues to build at Squire Patton Boggs, with the […] More
- 5 ‘Lawyer Burnout’ Symptoms and How To Avoid Them For The Good Of Your HealthLawFuel Editors – Lawyer ‘burnout’ is an increasing phenomenon unfortunately and the stressful nature of […] More
- Law Firm Mergers Set To Rise After The 2020 Pandemic DropLaw firm mergers are set to dramatically increase in 2021 after the pandemic, with some […] More
- The New Dating App For Lonely Lawyers – The Legal Profession’s Dating App Designed To Minimize Time and Maximize Dating SuccessLawyers looking for love can be a brief too far for many overworked, stressed legal […] More
- The ‘Attorney vs. Lawyer’ Question: Exactly What Is The Difference?A Google search for the term ‘Attorney’ will return you around 533 million results – […] More