Tom Berner – No sooner was the world learning of the tragic death of sporting legend Kobe Bryant when the LA Times ask the question no-one was requesting to be answered: ‘What happened to Kobe Bryant’s sex assault case?
Bryant’s death in a helicopter crash created headlines everywhere. What happened in mid 2003 did something similar when the Lakers star was charged over an alleged rape of a desk clerk working in the Rocky Mountains town of Edwards, Colo.
The trial moved slowly with a not guilty plea and a weakened resolve from the accuser who added the libel attorney Lin Wood to her team. Wood advised that a trial may not end well for her and after a mock trial prior to jury selection did not go well for her.
In addition, there was the repeated publication of her name and the emailing to media outlets of a closed hearing relating to DNA evidence.
The case took 14 months before it was resolved with the accuser deciding not to proceed and the prosecution of Bryant was stopped.A civil suit brought by the accuser in August 2004 was settled out of court on March 2, 2005.
Kobe Bryant had retained one of Colorado’s leading criminal and white collar attorneys in Hal Haddon of Haddon Morgan Forman.
As LawFuel reported in 2006 “It was as though they (the charges) had never been lodged – everything swept away but the messy recriminations and the second-guessing that are likely to haunt the district attorney’s offices in Eagle County, Colo., for years to come.”
But the Kobe Bryant headlines today are immeasurably more sad.
Recent Posts on LawFuel
- Roger Racket’s Back – ‘Dirty Trickster’ Roger Stone Freed and Unleashed81 / 100 Powered by Rank Math SEO SEO Score Roger Stone the self confessed […]
- Ghislaine Maxwell Arrest Sees Prince Andrew Links To Obscure Lobbying Firm Propelled to prominence By A Kiwi Ambassador81 / 100 Powered by Rank Math SEO SEO Score Lawyers for Prince Andrew have […]
- How The Disintegrating Law Firm Hired By Rudy Giuliani Has Spawned Its Young81 / 100 Powered by Rank Math SEO SEO Score Dan Garner – Breaking up, […]
- Is The Berman Ouster in New York A Further Reflection of Trump Political Interference? Maybe Not With This Lawyer . .81 / 100 Powered by Rank Math SEO SEO Score The debacle surrounding the firing […]
- Boies Law Firm Upheaval Continues With 4 Partner Defection to King & Spalding81 / 100 Powered by Rank Math SEO SEO Score The turmoil at Boies Schiller […]
- Laying Zoom Bare – Holding Zoom Meetings Without Wearing Pants is Just Part of the Problem For Lawyers Using Zoom81 / 100 Powered by Rank Math SEO SEO Score The move to Zoom meetings, […]
- Who Are The Lawyers Helping Prince Andrew Keep Safe From US Law Enforcement Over Jeffrey Epstein?81 / 100 Powered by Rank Math SEO SEO Score As Prince Andrew faces increasing […]
- How Allen & Overy Has Dealt With The COVID Crisis . . And One Thing They Would Not Have Done Again81 / 100 Powered by Rank Math SEO SEO Score Allen & Overy is one […]