Tom Berner – No sooner was the world learning of the tragic death of sporting legend Kobe Bryant when the LA Times ask the question no-one was requesting to be answered: ‘What happened to Kobe Bryant’s sex assault case?
Bryant’s death in a helicopter crash created headlines everywhere. What happened in mid 2003 did something similar when the Lakers star was charged over an alleged rape of a desk clerk working in the Rocky Mountains town of Edwards, Colo.
The trial moved slowly with a not guilty plea and a weakened resolve from the accuser who added the libel attorney Lin Wood to her team. Wood advised that a trial may not end well for her and after a mock trial prior to jury selection did not go well for her.
In addition, there was the repeated publication of her name and the emailing to media outlets of a closed hearing relating to DNA evidence.
The case took 14 months before it was resolved with the accuser deciding not to proceed and the prosecution of Bryant was stopped.A civil suit brought by the accuser in August 2004 was settled out of court on March 2, 2005.
Kobe Bryant had retained one of Colorado’s leading criminal and white collar attorneys in Hal Haddon of Haddon Morgan Forman.
As LawFuel reported in 2006 “It was as though they (the charges) had never been lodged – everything swept away but the messy recriminations and the second-guessing that are likely to haunt the district attorney’s offices in Eagle County, Colo., for years to come.”
But the Kobe Bryant headlines today are immeasurably more sad.
Recent Posts on LawFuel
- The Staggering Crisis of Mental Health Issues Among Lawyers . . And One Firm’s Digital Step To HelpThe law profession's 'record' of mental health issues is worse than any other profession by … Read more
- The FTC Prosecution, The Mystery Money Man and the Continuing Tale of Pierce BainbridgeProp 213 limits damages. Dan Garner* Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hecht LLP hit the … Read more
- Vault Rankings – The Top Rated US Law Firms For Compensation, As Recommended by AssociatesThe annual Vault rankings are always keenly awaited and with 20,000 Associates ranking US law … Read more
- More Senior Attorneys Jumping Ship From Pierce BainbridgeDan Garner* Following our earlier reports about the wave of departures from Pierce Bainbridge Beck … Read more
- Arrested Developments – Avenatti’s Arrest, Rudy’s Problems . . The Ongoing Problems Faced By Pierce BainbridgeDan Garner* We have reported extensively on various goings-on at Pierce Bainbridge, but the ongoing … Read more
- How Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s ‘Megxit’ Move May Help Reshape The LawRonald Marks – The so-called 'Megxit' exit from Royalty by Prince Harry, Megan Markle and … Read more
- Trump Impeachment: Meet The Cannabis Law Expert Repping Lev ParnasThe Trump impeachment trial is occupying gigabytes of media bandwidth, but one of the surprise … Read more
- LegalTech Reversal: Atrium’s Staff Cuts Show LegalTech Startups Are Not Always a Quick Road to RichesLegalTech startups and the overall high tech world of legal AI developments have been experiencing … Read more