The world is changing. The move towards a more digital economy has been rapid. People are starting to think more urgently about climate change and the importance of sustainability, and the notion of “consumer welfare” is evolving.
All while the benefits of free trade are being deeply questioned. The spotlight is firmly on competition policy and enforcement to answer many of the difficult questions that these issues present, sometimes reaching far beyond their traditional remit.
This means that dealmakers should expect increasingly intrusive and political enforcement this year, with more rigorous examination of mergers and broader M&A strategies, particularly in the digital space.
Renewed interest in industrial policy objectives and the continuing roll out of stricter foreign investment regimes will also play their part. Mounting social and political pressure to pro-actively tackle climate change may spark a pivot towards putting more emphasis on environmental policy in the application of competition rules. And companies selling their products and services online will need to be on top of new rules and guidance expected this year in response to the profound impact of e-commerce on distribution systems and strategies.
See Other Law Briefs
- Morgan Lewis: Biden Administration Issues Order on Gender Identity and Sexual OrientationAs one of his first actions in office, President Joe Biden has issued an executive […] More
- Resolving Cross-Border IP Issues Via ArbitrationMorrison & Foerster’s article on the “Arbitration of Intellectual Property and Licensing Disputes”, featured in […] More
- The “COVID Comeback” – Law Firm Tech Leaders’ Survey Shows Growth Again in 2021The Morrison & Foerster survey of Tech leaders reveals that two-thirds of dealmakers anticipate the […] More
- Why Law Firm Directories Should Help Drive Law Firm DiversityClare Murray *– It is legal directory submission time again, the most important PR exercise […] More
- Clifford Chance & Data Litigation ToolkitThe risks to businesses of civil claims arising out of data breaches have been underplayed. […] More
- Cannabis Industry Handcuffs – Is Cannabis Banking Reform On The Way?Locke Lord – Those who follow the cannabis industry (and our blog) well know by […] More
- Yury Mosha – Russian Immigrant Gaining Congress Attention for Section 230How One Man is Making a Change Don Hagan – In the news, […] More
- Anonymity – Bitcoin’s Strongest Feature Is Also Its Legal Weak SpotBitcoin is a type of cryptocurrency that appeals to many because of the anonymity it […] More
- Bankruptcy Q&A: The Things You Questions You Need to Ask10 Things You Should Know Before Filing For Bankruptcy Crosby & Fox, Las Vegas – […] More
- Skaden Privacy & Cybersecurity UpdateIn this month’s edition of our Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, we examine the U.S. Treasury’s advisories […] More