Dan Garner* Following our earlier reports about the wave of departures from Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hecht, two key partners have now also left the beleagued firm, touted once as “the fastest growing law firm in the world”.
The latest refugees are Eric Creizman Melissa Madrigal, (pictured) both white collar crime specialists, and who Law.com report are going to Armstrong Teasdale. They leave at the end of January and commence at the new firm on 10 February, according to the New York Law Journal report.
Pierce Bainbridge have been hemorrhaging staff, including senior partners, for several months, as we have reported. In three months towards the end of last year the firm lost six partners.
Given his usual fighting talk, imbued with a heavy military braggadocio that includes references to his firm’s ‘Seals’, Pierce said at the time of the departures that he respected the lawyers who left, but those who stay have to have “not only thick skin but skin made of kevlar combined with titanium.”
More recently, LawFuel reported on the PB ‘Carousel’ with at least 14 attorneys, including seven partners, who had left the firm.
That article also looked at the rocky road faced by the firm in respect of its clients as well.
Pierce Bainbridge has handled work for a number of high profile clients apart from Rudy Giuliani and including attorney Michael Avenatti and in battles against both Google and Facebook.
However the departure of Creizman in particular will be a major blow to the firm, particularly given the firm’s representation of Trump personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, now featuring in the current Trump impeachment hearing. But Creizman also has a strong reputation and practice in New York in particular and signals problems for PB’s plans for East Coast, let alone world legal domination.
John Pierce had hoped to convince the two to remain with the firm, the Law.com report said, but they made their decision to go. Pierce said that he looked “forward to welcoming them back with open arms someday soon. Between now and then, we wish them the very best and will be their biggest fans and supporters.”
Creizman confirmed to Law.com that the Giuliani case would probably stay with Pierce Bainbridge. Robert Costello, a former federal prosecutor and a lawyer at Davidoff Hutcher & Citron who has known Giuliani for decades, has also been part of the legal team representing Giuliani.
Meanwhile, the range war raging between Pierce Bainbridge and former partner Don Lewis also continues with Lewis suing the firm accusing Pierce and others of serious claims of financial and other misconduct and for firing him on a made-up pretense in response to his efforts to expose malpractice allegedly undertaken by Pierce and others.
Lewis and Pierce are both Harvard law graduates and the battle has attracted widespread publicity given its venom and the seriousness of the allegations.
More LawFuel Headlines
- Paul Newman Daughters Sue Over Alleged Breaches By Actor’s Charity FoundationFoley & Lardner LLP is representing Susan Newman and Nell Newman, daughters of the late actor Paul Newman, in their …
- Ghislaine Maxwell’s 20 Year Sentence – US Attorney ReleaseBritish socialite Ghislaine Maxwell was found guilty on 29 December by a federal jury on …
- Is The Lawyer on Demand Model Working – Should Lawyers Adopt the Model?Axiom has been successful with its Lawyer on Demand model, but it may not suit …
- Big Law’s Big Fee Growth ContinuesPaul Hastings has seen a major growth spurt post-COVID but other firms are seeing healthy …
- Who Are The Oligarchs Lawyers And The ‘Lawfare’ Claims Made In Their Names?Oligarch lawyers in the UK are named and lawfare claims face increased scrutiny
- UK Debate Shines Spotlight on Lawyers Who Act For Oligarchs‘Londongrad’ is under threat with the Ukraine war and the pressure on ‘enabling’ lawyers who …
- The BigLaw Partners Earning Big Money at Kirkland & Ellis . . And Where That Leaves The RestKirkland & Ellis is a billion dollar revenue machine but it still faces issues attracting key legal talent – why?
- Legal Services Immunity in the Face of the Pandemic‘What pandemic?’ the legal services markets seem to say . . Legal services revenues have …
- The Power Lady Lawyer Who Has Depleted Boies Schiller in LondonThe Power lady lawyer who has set up her own litigation power house law firm in London
- Stripping Prince Andrew – But The Legal Sex-Suit Troubles Remain UnaddressedBuckinham Palace has removed the Duke of York’s royal privileges, but the recent US Court …