Reports in London indicate that salaries in the high-paying London legal world, including the much-vaunted Magic Circle law firms, could fall as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic and remote working.
Several senior law firm partners are suggesting that paying remote workers hardly requires the high-paying salaries given that they are working remotely.
In June Clifford Chance cut salaries for its newly-qualified (NQ) associates in London in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The firm now offers NQs a total compensation package of £94,500 including a bonus, which is down from last year’s rate of £100,000 including a bonus.
Fellow Magic Circle firm Allen & Overy said that it would be cutting its NQ salaries by 10 per cent earlier this year, reducing them to £90,000 including a sign-on bonuses. That was a move that reversed its decision from last year to bump NQ pay to £100,000.
In June, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, which had helped set off the U.K. pay war in 2019 offering NQs a total salary package of £100,000, announced that it would hold its NQ pay at the same rate, while Slaughter and May cut its NQ salaries by £5,000 in May to £87,000.
Now, however, there appear to be further pay cuts looming as remote working sets to be in place with further lockdowns emerging and the large law firms – and smaller ones too – deciding they need to trim their budgets.
- Social Media Marketing for Lawyers: 12 Key TipsSocial media marketing for lawyers More
- What Fields of Law Make the Most Money Today? The 6 Existing and Emerging Fields Of Law Offering Big Fees for LawyersIt’s a simple question to ask which are the best fields of law for lawyers to work in that offer high […] More
- 5 ‘Lawyer Burnout’ Symptoms and How To Avoid Them For The Good Of Your HealthLawFuel Editors – Lawyer ‘burnout’ is an increasing phenomenon unfortunately and the stressful nature of legal work, its competition and the […] More
- $1.4 Million Partner Pay Is Not Cutting The Mustard For Many Partners At MintersBoard report shows there are money issues at the top Australian law firm There’s some trouble at mill for top Australian […] More
- 18 Little Known Facts About the US Attorney General – Who Is The US Attorney General Merrick Garland?US Attorney General Merrick Garland has had a distinguished legal career but what are the little known facts about the top legal advisor? More