John Bowie – The Johnny Depp libel trial win for The Sun newspaper was a high stakes gamble by the Murdoch-owned newspaper, but it was also a major test for its primary gossip columnist and executive editor, Lower Hutt-born Dan Wootton who wrote the allegedly defamatory story.
The story exposed Depp as a wife beater and lead to a so-called ‘libel trial of the century’ (well, UK ragtop papers are given to hyperbole, after all and we’re only part-way through this century).
Wootton went to Naenae College and Victoria University before setting off on his OE to the UK where he has carved out an impressive career as a populist journalist and television personality, opining on a wide range of ‘celebrity issues’.
- JunoLegal Grows With Another NZ In-House Counsel HireNew Law firm Juno Legal has recruited another senior New Zealand In-house Counsel with its recruitment of former BP NZ General Counsel Rachael Lynch. She has […] More
- What’s Happening At Meredith Connell With Its Litigator Departures?Why are litigators departing from Meredith Connell? More
- Supreme Court Remits Kim Dotcom & Associates’ Case To Court of AppealThe US Government and Kim Dotcom Agree On One Thing At Least . . In a Supreme Court decision released today the Supreme Court has remitted […] More
- How Much Has The Dotcom Case Cost The New Zealand Taxpayer? Take A GuessHow does $7 Million Sound? It’s taken nine years of battling, but the cost to the New Zealand taxpayer of the claims against Kim Dotcom and […] More
- Law Firm Branding: Buddle Findlay ‘Refresh’ Their Brand – But Does It Cut The Mustard?Christine Hansen – “Refreshing” a law firm brand is always a fraught task, but as the legal market becomes more tech-focused and competitive, the need to […] More