John Bowie – The Johnny Depp libel trial win for The Sun newspaper was a high stakes gamble by the Murdoch-owned newspaper, but it was also a major test for its primary gossip columnist and executive editor, Lower Hutt-born Dan Wootton who wrote the allegedly defamatory story.
The story exposed Depp as a wife beater and lead to a so-called ‘libel trial of the century’ (well, UK ragtop papers are given to hyperbole, after all and we’re only part-way through this century).
Wootton went to Naenae College and Victoria University before setting off on his OE to the UK where he has carved out an impressive career as a populist journalist and television personality, opining on a wide range of ‘celebrity issues’.
- James Hardie Settle Weathertightness Case
- NZ Law Society’s New President From DLA Piper Has Work To Do
- Too Hot To Handle Lawyer’s Career Transition From Smart to Sexy . . And Her Lesson For Other Women
- Why James Gardner-Hopkins Has Been The Fall Guy For Other Fallen LawyersWhy is James Gardner-Hopkins the fall guy for a profession’s bad behaviour?
- PWC Sued For $1.5 Billion Over Alleged Incorrect Advice Re Brierley Companies