“The Pierce Bainbridge firm has proven to be a cesspool of lies and deceit.” ~ Don Lewis, June 7, 2019
The quote is from a complaint former firm partner Don Lewis filed against Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hecht LLP last year. The events from the week of March 9, 2020, appear to lend credibility to Lewis’s long-standing and serious accusations in his bitter fight with his former law firm. The brutal news confronting the law firm was so fast and furious it has left many wondering if jail time is on the horizon. It also made firm partner Denver G. Edwards’s judicial concession that Lewis’s allegations of “unethical and dishonest business practices . . . if true, would constitute criminal activity” uncannily prescient.
The Brutal and Bloody Week That Was
The week played out like a combination of A Nightmare on Elm Street meets John Grisham’s The Firm. It mirrored Lewis’s accusations of financial misconduct at the firm.
Lewis’ allegations have been particularly serious regarding actions taken by his former partners.
Another Lewis filing states:
“[T]he pervasive dishonesty from PB, including two partners . . . making knowingly false statements of fact in sworn affidavits – calls the general credibility of the firm into question.”
The seemingly rogue Pierce Bainbridge operations came to a head in embarrassing fashion time after time after time over the last few days.
Here are the lowlights:
John Pierce is Kicked Out of His Own Firm for Illicit Financial Activity. According to The American Lawyer, Pierce was put on leave by his partners for “accepting money from a lender for personal use . . . essentially a pay day lender for small businesses.” The loan involved a “John Mark Pierce Enterprises LLC.” Tom Warren was appointed acting Managing Partner in Pierce’s absence.
First Lawsuit – Pierce Bainbridge, Name Partners, Pravati Capital LLC Sued. A Philadephia attorney attached a copy of the Pravati – Pierce Bainbridge funding agreement; the public disclosure of such agreements is exceedingly rare. The complaint accuses the firm of the same type of wrongful behavior for which ex-partner Lewis blew the whistle.
Mark Mukasey of Mukasey Frenchman & Sklaroff Files to Withdraw as Counsel for the Firm. Law360 reported: The Mukasey withdrawal affidavit “stressed New York ethics rules about professional considerations that might require any attorney to drop a case.” The Mukasey withdrawal stands in stark contrast to the conduct of Putney Twombly Hall & Hirson LLP and Littler Mendelson P.C, particularly their partners Michael D. Yim (Putney) and Sylvia Jeanine Conley (Littler). Both law firms, as well as Conley and Yim, are defendants in Lewis’s claims for allegedly engaging in collusion, conspiracy and deceit.
Second Lawsuit – Pierce Bainbridge, Pierce and John Mark Pierce Enterprises are Sued. A lender based in Erie County, New York, West Coast Business Capital LLC, sued for the firm’s failure to fulfill payment obligations on an upfront loan. Pierce Bainbridge “sold $387,400.00 of future receivables. . . for an upfront sum of $260,000.00.”
An exhibit filed with the complaint claims that Pierce Bainbridge made several payments to West Coast Business and then stopped on February 18, 2020.
Just seven days later, on February 25, 2020, John Pierce entered into a lending arrangement with a pay day type loan entity.
This timing comports with a Lewis court filing which states:
“Events subsequent to Lewis’s illegal expulsion, strongly suggest that Pierce Bainbridge is . . . engaged in a variant of a Ponzi Scheme.”
More Partner Defections
At least three more partners quite this week – Brian Dunne, Conor McDonough and Michael Pomerantz.
A full roster of PB attorney departees is below.
The $9,100,000.00 Million Crew
Certain members of the $9.1 Million Crew have quit. While such individuals, Michael Pomerantz (formerly of Grais & Ellsworth), Caroline Polisi (formerly of Creizman LLC), Eric Creizman (Armstrong Teasedale) and Conor McDonough (formerly of Paul Weiss) may no longer be with the firm, the mess that has been created is unlikely to result in a clean break for those involved.
A happy ending has about the same probability as Pierce Bainbridge “replacing Quinn Emanuel as the next dominant global litigation firm.”
Image courtesy of Law.com
RECENT PIERCE BAINBRIDGE ATTORNEY DEPARTURES
|FORMER PB PARTNER||NEW FIRM or FORMER FIRM|
|Eric Creizman||Armstrong Teasedale|
|Caroline Polisi||(formerly Creizman LLC)|
|Deborah Renner||Renner Law|
|Jeffrey Alexander||Wachtell Missry|
|Jeffrey Newton||Kobre Kim|
|Joan Meyer||Thompson Hine|
|Melissa Madrigal||Armstrong Teasedale|
|Michael Winograd||Brown Rudnick|
|Susan Winkler||Winkler Law|
|Theodore “Ted” Folkman||(formerly Murphy King)|
|Thomas Frongillo||(formerly Fish & Richardson)|
|Conor McDonough||(formerly of Paul Weiss)|
|Michael Pomerantz||(formerly of Grais & Ellsworth)|
|FORMER COUNSEL||NEW FIRM or FORMER FIRM|
|Kristin “Krissie” Darr||(formerly Linklaters)|
|Julie Capehart||BraughnHagey & Borden|
|Matthew Rand||(formerly McKool Smith)|
|FORMER PB ASSOCIATE||NEW FIRM or FORMER FIRM|
|Aaron Gold||Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe|
|Abbye Ognibene||Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro|
|Barron Flood||Herbert, Smith & Freehills|
|Cassie Black||(formerly Sullivan & Cromwell)|
|Clairborne Hane||Kasowitz Benson|
|Elizabeth DeGori||Kirkland & Ellis|
|Minoti Patel||Grant & Eisenhofer|
|Stephen Farrelly||Browne George Ross|
|W. Tyler Perry||Reid Collins & Tsai|
The News on Pierce Bainbridge
Law Firm Pierce Bainbridge sees lawsuits and mass departures
Large scale departures from leading firm
Co-Founder John Pierce Steps down amid accusations of financial impropriety
Attorney Mark Mukasey steps aside from firm represetnation
- Is The Lawyer on Demand Model Working – Should Lawyers Adopt the Model?Axiom has been successful with its Lawyer on Demand model, but it may …
- Big Law’s Big Fee Growth ContinuesPaul Hastings has seen a major growth spurt post-COVID but other firms are …
- Who Are The Oligarchs Lawyers And The ‘Lawfare’ Claims Made In Their Names?Oligarch lawyers in the UK are named and lawfare claims face increased scrutiny
- UK Debate Shines Spotlight on Lawyers Who Act For Oligarchs‘Londongrad’ is under threat with the Ukraine war and the pressure on ‘enabling’ …
- The BigLaw Partners Earning Big Money at Kirkland & Ellis . . And Where That Leaves The RestKirkland & Ellis is a billion dollar revenue machine but it still faces issues attracting key legal talent – why?
- Legal Services Immunity in the Face of the Pandemic‘What pandemic?’ the legal services markets seem to say . . Legal services …
- The Power Lady Lawyer Who Has Depleted Boies Schiller in LondonThe Power lady lawyer who has set up her own litigation power house law firm in London
- Stripping Prince Andrew – But The Legal Sex-Suit Troubles Remain UnaddressedBuckinham Palace has removed the Duke of York’s royal privileges, but the recent …
- The Sanity-Defying Faustian Pact Struck By Biglaw Junior LawyersThe salaries may be eye-popping and the addition to their CVs prestigious, but …
- How Technology Will Shape Law Firm Success in 2022Law firm success in 2022 will depend upon technology to retain legal talent and obtain new clients
- Dubai Ruler’s Record-Breaking Divorce Settlement – And The Legal Fees To MatchA record-breaking divorce settlement has been achieved by Dubai’s ruler who has been …
- Is The Lockstep Model On Its Last Legs? Linklaters The Latest To Alter The ModelJust after we reported on changes being made to hourly billing, (from Freshfields) …