Law firm mergers will be well down on what occurred in 2019, but have picked up after the early days of the pandemic, according to Bloomberg Law.
Law firms registered 20 combinations from July through September, up from a near-decade low of seven in the second quarter. However that doesn’t come anywhere near the 115 US ‘combinations’ last year, compared to 44 in 2020.
The COVID crisis saw firms taking some time to adjust to what was occurring after organizing lawyer relocations and restructuring to deal with the pandemic, which then lead to their thoughts on the way ahead to strengthen their practices.
“I think you’ll see additional engagement once firms are past their budgeting for next year, and decide if, and how long, they will stay remote,” said Tom Clay, an Altman Weil principal who tracks mergers. “The pandemic put the brakes on but midsize and larger firms are beginning to reengage in strategies to acquire smaller firms.”
Global firm Dentons chalked up the biggest deal of the third quarter, announcing a combination with 96-lawyer Durham Jones & Pinegar, in Salt Lake City, a merger that is part of Denton’s “golden spike” strategy to create an alliance of law firms around the country.
Three large law firms made more typical acquisitions in adding smaller firms for practice expertise.
K&L Gates picked up three-lawyer firm Richards Patent Law, in Chicago. Bond Schoeneck added The Wolford Law Firm, a three-lawyer litigation boutique in Rochester, N.Y. Miles & Stockbridge acquired Taylor & Ryan, a two-lawyer immigration firm in Pikesville, Md.
- Preparing For The Future of WorkBusiness law partner at Foley & Lardner, Silicon Valley, writes about the challenges of post-Pandemic workplaces and how we should […] More
- Mischon de Reya Moves Into Rich London Law Listing ModeHigh profile Mischon de Reya has approved its high-value public float plans Mischcon de Reya is one of the highest […] More
- The 15-Hour Workdays And Ongoing Issue of Lawyer BurnoutLawyer burnout is a major problem for law firms globally, but it’s not an inevitability More
- Why Law Firm Profitability Matters More Than EverProfitability management of law firms combined with market price signaling are ultimately the critical tools Joseph Altonji* A few weeks […] More
- Power Lawyers – Yvette Ostolaza Named Chair-Elect of Sidley’s Management CommitteeDallas litigator Ostolaza is to take over as the chairwoman of the 2,000-lawyer firm’s management committee and the first Latina […] More
- Am Law 100 And The $4.8 Billion Top Listing Law Firm For Gross RevenueBut the top earning partners were at Wachtell Lipton at $7.5 million in profits per equity partner Greedy for top […] More