Working from a partner’s office is hardly something most younger lawyers would dare attempt, but it is part of the new, COVID norm apparently.
Increasingly there has been debate about just how sacrosanct the partner’s office should be.
As Law.com reported, a law firm partner’s identity and bravado can be shaped by many things, including a hefty pay packet and legal directory rankings. But a specific source of pride has always been the partner’s office.
As law firms realize they do not need their current real estate overheads and ‘footprint’ they are doing so with Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in London moving to offices that are reportedly about 20 per cent smaller than their previous office space.
Freshfields’ lawyers move into their new offices at 100 Bishopsgate office later this year when the firm is planning to operate an ‘office release system’ which means someone else can use your office if you are working remotely.
“If you’re not there, you give your office up”, London managing partner Claire Wills told the website Legal Week while another partner, who isn’t named, said lockdown had shown that “people do not need rooms full of paper and offices in the traditional sense.”
“I used to think I could not work without precedents around me but it’s more a comfort blanket. We’ve been at home without any of this stuff and most people are busy.”Legal Week
Just how the practice works when the new offices come on stream is another question, but it is something that will take more than just a change in mindset over ‘real estate footprint’ and have perhaps more to do with partner ego and prestige. Therein lies a major obstacle.
Your Views on the Partner Office?
- Racehorse Doping Charges: Defendants On “the supply side of a market of greed that continues to endanger racehorses through the sale of performance-enhancing drugs”.TWO PLEAD GUILTY TO RACEHORSE DOPING CHARGES Audrey Strauss, the Acting United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, announced […]
- Kramon & Graham boosts senior administrative team with new appointmentsPowered by LawFuel – Baltimore, MD (September 16, 2020) — Kramon & Graham, a leading law firm providing litigation, real estate, and […]
- Buchalter Expands Its Tax and Estate Planning Practices with the Addition of Two New Shareholders in Los Angeles and San DiegoPowered by LawFuel – Buchalter is pleased to announce the welcome additions of Joseph K. Fletcher III and Laura Lamb Nichols to […]
- 3 Strategies Lawyers Are Using Successfully to Prosper With Remote Working ConditionsJen Dezso* Remote working has proven to be largely a success — at least from the perspective of lawyer wellbeing. The impact […]
- Big Law Belt Tightening Hits Both Younger & Older Lawyers as The Pandemic Bites Law FirmsIn the new era of COVID-invoked recession law firms are developing new strategies to cope with a downturn in work and revenues. […]