Control over the NZ Super Fund’s cash pile of close to $57 billion gives a lot of power to lawyer and banker Matt Whineray.
- 0.1 Control over the NZ Super Fund’s cash pile of close to $57 billion gives a lot of power to lawyer and banker Matt Whineray.
- 1 Return to the Power List
- 1.0.1 The LawFuel Power List 2022
- 1.0.2 Kiri Allan – The Activist Justice Minister And Her Power Lawyer Connections
- 1.0.3 Elite Woman Power Lawyer To Leave Minters For New Role
- 1.0.4 Mai Chen ‘Sacks Herself’ to Start New Chambers, Closing ChenPalmer
- 1.0.5 The Finlayson Trilogy and Legal Life After Politics
- 1.0.6 NZ Law – Senior Partner Leaves Meredith Connell For Bankside
As chief investment officer at the New Zealand Super Fund has more say than just about anyone in the country on major investments in the country, including fielding recent complaints about the fund’s minor $500,000 investment in Chinese companies blacklisted by the US authorities for their role in human rights violations.
The fund has also been active in providing investment in New Zealand start-ups via venture funds designed to boost the burgeoning emerging business market in New Zealand.
The Fund has also been involved in NZ Infra (a joint venture between the Super Fund and CDPQ Infra, a Canadian pension fund) to develop Auckland’s light rail system.
Apart from his role as Super Fund CEO, Whineray is co-chair of the Sustainable Finance Forum designed to help create a low emission, resource efficient and to deal with key environmental and social issues.
Sustainable finance is not, he says, any longer a niche topic. It is part of the essence of what the Super Fund, the Sustainable Finance Forum and the future investment framework will be.
Justice Minister Kiri Allan is putting her mark on her major portfolio in a manner…
One of MinterEllisonRuddWatts top corporate lawyers is to leave the firm to join investment bank…
Profile lawyer and Power List member Mai Chen has apparently closed her law firm, established…
Bankside Chambers, the Chambers-of-choice for former Attorney General Chris Finlayson QC, published an online interview…
>> Latest Law Jobs on NZ’s Best Law Jobs Network Former Meredith Connell partner David…