High flying and aggressive US-based law firm Boies Schiller continues to make the news, the latest interest being around the law firm’s apparent failure to make the raises to associates which was apparently due to be made on October 15, then at the end of the month and now . .
The obvious rumors reported in American Lawyer and elsewhere are that there may be cash flow issues for the firm which has recently faced issues around departing partners.
The firm has had a tumultuous time of late with departing partners. Among the issues facing the firm have been bad press received by founder David Boies with his controversial work for profile clients, as well as a slip for the firm in the AmLaw rankings.
Since the new leadership took over the firm, 31 partners have left the firm with 15 going from the LA office in April. The firm also fired a number of associates and staffers in LA.
The original pay plan was for the law firm to match those paid by Cravath Swaine & Moore, but now concerns are arising about the reason for the non-payment.
Firm co-chief Natasha Harrison received a high profile piece in The Times recently, where ‘the lawyer from Croyden’ moved from the UK to the US to co-manage the firm, but clearly faces challenges with the recent events, both economically and in terms of whatever the Boies Schiller balance sheet reveals.
- Preparing For The Future of WorkBusiness law partner at Foley & Lardner, Silicon Valley, writes about the challenges of post-Pandemic workplaces and how we should focus on […] More
- Mischon de Reya Moves Into Rich London Law Listing ModeHigh profile Mischon de Reya has approved its high-value public float plans Mischcon de Reya is one of the highest profile law […] More
- The 15-Hour Workdays And Ongoing Issue of Lawyer BurnoutLawyer burnout is a major problem for law firms globally, but it’s not an inevitability More
- Why Law Firm Profitability Matters More Than EverProfitability management of law firms combined with market price signaling are ultimately the critical tools Joseph Altonji* A few weeks ago, I […] More
- Power Lawyers – Yvette Ostolaza Named Chair-Elect of Sidley’s Management CommitteeDallas litigator Ostolaza is to take over as the chairwoman of the 2,000-lawyer firm’s management committee and the first Latina woman to […] More
- Am Law 100 And The $4.8 Billion Top Listing Law Firm For Gross RevenueBut the top earning partners were at Wachtell Lipton at $7.5 million in profits per equity partner Greedy for top ranking maybe, […] More
- Hedge Fund Co-Founder Arrested Over Alleged $40 Million FraudAudrey Strauss, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, and Philip R. Bartlett, Inspector-in-Charge of the New York […] More