It can be tough working at home, especially with boisterous children around, and the key for London Queen’s Counsel Bridget Dolan is to set the rules . . like any good barrister would. And the results have created a Twitter storm of other barristers with their ‘lockdown’ warnings ranging from child-shooting to
During the coronavirus lockdown, Ms Dolan, a 2015 ‘Lawyer of the Year’ and former forensic psychologist, has hung a stern warning on her ‘office’ door at home to prevent the children entering while working.
The formal note advises said offspring that ‘the thing you see inside this room is not your mother’ and suggests that she’s under strain from responding to a ‘tsunami of emails’.
Suggesting that she might be roused for a medical emergency, classified as ‘extreme pain or an episode of bleeding that lasts beyond three minutes’, she makes it clear that hunger is not one such scenario.
When the note is tacked on the door, ‘the thing inside’ can ‘perform no parental functions’, it reads.
Tweeting about her directive, Doland said: ‘Day 2 of isolation. Kids coping better than me. Very happy to email anyone who wants it a copy of the essential document I needed to draft this am.’
The Dolan child-warning memo has since been shared around the legal profession globally, attracting over 8,000 views and similar notes from similarly-stressed QCs who have been able to recount their own variations and suggestions for child-warning aspects to their door notices.
@EdaleSkyline enquired: ‘Good work. But wondering if you could beef up the bleeding clause. Three minutes isn’t that long really. Most children have quite a lot of blood in them.’
@CiaranMcQuade wished he’d stuck a similar note on his door, recounting: ‘I wish I’d thought of this before my son walked in the room earlier, midway through a cmc, whilst signing Rick Astley’s never gonna give you up. Thankfully the judge laughed.’
@LKMagill wrote: ‘I love it!! Sonny know how parents are doing it. My head is exploding keeping up with work/emails/changing court directives and I only have two dogs to consider!’
The ongoing humour has been something that has blended with advice about staying safe that has helped keep lawyers and others sane, although Bridget Doland is thinking about that question too, as her recent Tweet suggests.
Check These Recent Stories on LawFuel
- Fox-Batting Barrister Blacklisted, He SaysLondon Barrister Jolyon Maugham hit the social media headlines for killing a fox with […] More
- The Lawyer And The Zoom Cat Filter Mishap – “I’m not a cat”, he saysZoom has been the big boom for the pandemic, but a recent Zoom filter […] More
- Donald Trump’s New ‘Power Lawyer’ You May Not Have Heard Of . . But For Bill CosbyTaking on work for Donald Trump for his record, second impeachment trial is not […] More
- Waco Lord of the Rings References In Weird Hobbit BriefInsurrectionist and lawyer Paul Davis is also, it would appear, a Lord of the […] More
- Florida Lawyer In Jailhouse Sex Filming Loses LicenceA Florida lawyer who filmed himself soliciting sex from three inmates, one being a […] More
- Another Law Firm Dumps The Trump Legal WorkLaw firm Morgan Lewis & Bockius previously handled tax law representation for former president […] More
- Facebook for Lawyers – Is A Facebook Group A Good Idea For A Law Firm (And If So, How Do You Create One Easily?)Facebook groups are potentially a hugely effective way to attract attention to your law […] More
- The Twin Lawyers With Equal Passion For Maori Legal IssuesThe twin 23-year-old girls inspired by their non-lawyer father’s arguments for Maori Land Rights […] More
- FIFA Files Criminal Complaint Against Sepp BlatterWorld soccer’s governing body Fifa say they have filed a criminal complaint with Zurich’s […] More
- When your child follows you into the lawDeborah Hart* 63 years to the day after my family found sanctuary in […] More
- Trump Lawyer’s Alleged Harassment From Big Law KirklandsA Philadelphia lawyer running her own firm and representing Donald Trump’s campaign has complained […] More
- The Various ‘Firsts’ Achieved By Kamala Harris’s Lawyer HusbandThe husband of Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, will sever ties with DLA Piper by […] More