It can be tough working at home, especially with boisterous children around, and the key for London Queen’s Counsel Bridget Dolan is to set the rules . . like any good barrister would. And the results have created a Twitter storm of other barristers with their ‘lockdown’ warnings ranging from child-shooting to
During the coronavirus lockdown, Ms Dolan, a 2015 ‘Lawyer of the Year’ and former forensic psychologist, has hung a stern warning on her ‘office’ door at home to prevent the children entering while working.
The formal note advises said offspring that ‘the thing you see inside this room is not your mother’ and suggests that she’s under strain from responding to a ‘tsunami of emails’.
Suggesting that she might be roused for a medical emergency, classified as ‘extreme pain or an episode of bleeding that lasts beyond three minutes’, she makes it clear that hunger is not one such scenario.
When the note is tacked on the door, ‘the thing inside’ can ‘perform no parental functions’, it reads.
Tweeting about her directive, Doland said: ‘Day 2 of isolation. Kids coping better than me. Very happy to email anyone who wants it a copy of the essential document I needed to draft this am.’
The Dolan child-warning memo has since been shared around the legal profession globally, attracting over 8,000 views and similar notes from similarly-stressed QCs who have been able to recount their own variations and suggestions for child-warning aspects to their door notices.
@EdaleSkyline enquired: ‘Good work. But wondering if you could beef up the bleeding clause. Three minutes isn’t that long really. Most children have quite a lot of blood in them.’
@CiaranMcQuade wished he’d stuck a similar note on his door, recounting: ‘I wish I’d thought of this before my son walked in the room earlier, midway through a cmc, whilst signing Rick Astley’s never gonna give you up. Thankfully the judge laughed.’
@LKMagill wrote: ‘I love it!! Sonny know how parents are doing it. My head is exploding keeping up with work/emails/changing court directives and I only have two dogs to consider!’
The ongoing humour has been something that has blended with advice about staying safe that has helped keep lawyers and others sane, although Bridget Doland is thinking about that question too, as her recent Tweet suggests.
Check These Recent Stories on LawFuel
- Lawyer Income And How Google’s Top Lawyer Made Over $50 Million Last YearTop lawyer income figures rank highly, but for Google’s top lawyer the $50 million-plus […] More
- Am Law 100 And The $4.8 Billion Top Listing Law Firm For Gross RevenueBut the top earning partners were at Wachtell Lipton at $7.5 million in profits […] More
- How Many Lawyers Are There In The United States?. . or is the law a dying profession? It may surprise some to […] More
- Former MinterEllison M&A Partner Joins Squire Patton BoggsPowered by LawFuel – The momentum continues to build at Squire Patton Boggs, with […] More
- 5 ‘Lawyer Burnout’ Symptoms and How To Avoid Them For The Good Of Your HealthLawFuel Editors – Lawyer ‘burnout’ is an increasing phenomenon unfortunately and the stressful nature […] More
- Law Firm Mergers Set To Rise After The 2020 Pandemic DropLaw firm mergers are set to dramatically increase in 2021 after the pandemic, with […] More
- The New Dating App For Lonely Lawyers – The Legal Profession’s Dating App Designed To Minimize Time and Maximize Dating SuccessLawyers looking for love can be a brief too far for many overworked, stressed […] More
- The ‘Attorney vs. Lawyer’ Question: Exactly What Is The Difference?A Google search for the term ‘Attorney’ will return you around 533 million results […] More
- New Morrison & Foerster Report to Assist General Counsel in Uncertain Times“Leading with Influence” is a new research study Morrison & Foerster has completed in […] More
- How The Sofia Vergara Frozen Embryo Case Highlights Key Issues For LawyersA victory to Vergara over the control of frozen embryos provides an insight into […] More
- Fox-Batting Barrister Blacklisted, He SaysLondon Barrister Jolyon Maugham hit the social media headlines for killing a fox with […] More
- The Lawyer And The Zoom Cat Filter Mishap – “I’m not a cat”, he saysZoom has been the big boom for the pandemic, but a recent Zoom filter […] More