A recent interview by Bloomberg Law with HP Inc. Chief Legal Officer Kim Rivera, one of the first corporates to demand diversity from outside counsel, indicated that a demand for diversity from law firms would lead to a positive response from firms.
HP had made a promise to withhold fees for outside law firms that don’t meet diversity goals has achieved results, with 95 per cent now meeting the standards the corporate set.
Rivera’s legal department at HP was an early starter when it came to demanding diversity, which started in 2017 with a requirment that most of its firms needed to staff at least one ‘diverse attorney’ on HP legal work or face a 10 per cent cut in fees.
“Our initiative is meant to make sure that opportunity at that business is spread more evenly to folks,” said Rivera, who added that about 46 per cent of the company’s outside firms met the standard three years ago. The initiative also requires quarterly reports on each firm’s diversity statistics.
The company withheld fees for only one or two of the 60 law firms that participated in the regime, although those firms could ‘earn back’ their fees when diversity was complied with.
Rivera is also the president of strategy and business management for HP Inc.
“Frankly, in the current environment, I think people are hopefully less resistant to the notion that as clients,” she told Bloomberg.
“We can be more demanding in terms of the pace and innovation and aggressiveness that firms are taking with regard to diversity and inclusion. I’m also working with other GCs to try and persuade them that the more we can adopt more uniform approaches, the more we can drive progress, because then it makes consistent, clear expectations that firms can scale around.”
- Waco Lord of the Rings References In Weird Hobbit BriefInsurrectionist and lawyer Paul Davis is also, it would appear, a Lord of the Rings fan. So much so, in fact, that his Rings-related […] More
- Florida Lawyer In Jailhouse Sex Filming Loses LicenceA Florida lawyer who filmed himself soliciting sex from three inmates, one being a porn actress in jail, has had his law licence removed […] More
- Another Law Firm Dumps The Trump Legal WorkLaw firm Morgan Lewis & Bockius previously handled tax law representation for former president Donald Trump and his company have said they will stop […] More
- Facebook for Lawyers – Is A Facebook Group A Good Idea For A Law Firm (And If So, How Do You Create One Easily?)Facebook groups are potentially a hugely effective way to attract attention to your law firm – provided you set it up the right way […] More
- The Twin Lawyers With Equal Passion For Maori Legal IssuesThe twin 23-year-old girls inspired by their non-lawyer father’s arguments for Maori Land Rights has seen them develop their respective legal careers, recently reported […] More
- FIFA Files Criminal Complaint Against Sepp BlatterWorld soccer’s governing body Fifa say they have filed a criminal complaint with Zurich’s cantonal prosecutor, claiming evidence of “criminal mismanagement” of a museum […] More
- When your child follows you into the lawDeborah Hart* 63 years to the day after my family found sanctuary in New Zealand, I am on my feet in the High […] More