Record profits have been recorded by a number of the US major law firms the Financial Times reports, with profits of $3 million on average.
The FT report that US firm results show double-digit revenue growth during 2019, driven in part by some major deals like the Bristol-Myers Squibb $93 billion takeover of Celgene.
Increase M&A work and the disruption achieved by firms like Google and Amazon saw increased legal work, also assisted by the tough approach taken by competition regulators
So who took home the big dollars?
Dechert achieve average profits of $3 million, an increase of over 10 per cent from the previous year. The Airbus corruption settlement doubtless a major contributor to the profits.
Kirkland & Ellis continue to dominate with their average $5 million figure during the 2018 year and doubtless a major figure for 2019 when it is reported.
King & Spalding received an average of $3 million also, another significant increase over their 2018 figure of $2.84 million.
In London, the FT report that litigation specialist Quinn Emanuel grew its London revenue by a fifth to £100.6m last year, making it the first litigation boutique to break the £100m barrier in the UK.
Quinn Emanuel’s London office has 19 partners. Senior partner Richard East said Brexit and the rise of populist leaders such as US President Donald Trump had resulted in a growing wave of large commercial disputes, as companies fought back against law changes.
Recent LawFuel News
- Freshfields Joins Slim Ranks of Big Law Firm Female Leaders As Gender Diversity Moves Slowly GrowDan Garner – Female law firm leadership ranks are growing – albeit […]
- “Notorious RBG” Dies: The Passing of a Legal LegendThe legal and female judicial icon Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died. […]
- Big Law Belt Tightening Hits Both Younger & Older Lawyers as The Pandemic Bites Law FirmsIn the new era of COVID-invoked recession law firms are developing new […]
- Prestigious UK Law Firm Investigated Over Money Laundering IssuesMischcon de Reya is one of the more prestigious law firms in […]
- What Makes A Great Managing Partner in a Law Firm?**According to a leading legal journalist who has gossiped and drunk with […]
- Charles Manson’s ‘Disruptive’ Attorney Irving Kanarek Dies. Charles Lives Still At A Secure AddressThe lawyer who defended Charles Manson has died at age 100. Irving […]
- Listed Law Firms in UK Take a Price Beating But Still Show ResilienceListing law firms was an exciting – and profitable – game for […]
- The ‘Eat What You Kill’ Mindset Means More Law Partners Taking Work From Juniors To Beat Billing TargetsPartners at US law firms are taking a greater share of the […]
- Can The Idea From Some Big Law Firms of Working From the Partners’ Office Actually Work?Working from a partner’s office is hardly something most younger lawyers would […]
- The Women Disappointed in Meghan & Harry’s Choice of LA’s ‘Scarface Oligarch’ MansionThe Women Disappointed in Scarface Oligarch’s sale of mansion to Meghan and Harry
- The Woman In The Midst Of Freshfield’s Latest #Metoo MiseryThe #Metoo movement seems to follow Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer like a very […]