Dan Garner* John Mark Pierce is out at Pierce Bainbridge. His own partners have placed him on leave for financial foul play. State government filings show Pierce entering into a lending arrangement with a payday lending type entity at a residential address in Flushing, Queens; a location hounded by reports of unsavory activity.
According to the American Lawyer, a firm spokeswoman said: “A preliminary investigation has revealed that John M. Pierce accepted money from Karish Kapital, LLC for his personal use.”
What Pierce is accused of, may sound unbelievable, but only if you’ve not been paying attention; it aligns with what former partner Don Lewis has said for almost a year.
As a clear example, Lewis’s complaint dated May 16, 2019 alleged:
Pierce Bainbridge has apparently attempted to frame this as an isolated incident. Partner denials are a regular occurence, such as the claims from Michael D. Yim of Putney Twombly and S. Jeanine Conley of Littler Mendelson – defendants in Lewis’s lawsuits against his former firm – claiming ignorance with respect to the overwhelmingly unethical behavior of John Pierce and the Pierce Bainbridge firm.
Lewis Former Partners Are Notified of Pierce’s Financial Shenanigans
- 1 Lewis Former Partners Are Notified of Pierce’s Financial Shenanigans
- 2 Karish Kapital LLC, John Mark Pierce Enterprises LLC and Talon LF
- 3 “He Ended Up in Jail”
- 4 See: The Exodus from Pierce Bainbridge
- 5 Pierce Bainbridge and Avenatti
- 6 Recently on LawFuel
Lewis says he made his former partners aware of allegations of financial misconduct in March 2019 and concerns had been expressed regarding those matters since November 2018.
Karish Kapital LLC, John Mark Pierce Enterprises LLC and Talon LF
To secure the Karish Kapital funds, Pierce filed a lien on the assets of the Pierce Bainbridge firm, Pierce individually, and the relatively newly created John M Pierce Enterprises LLC; interestingly, this entity appears on two lending filings in two days (filing one – Karish Kapital (2/25/20) and filing two – unclear (2/26/20).
Notably, the filings list differing addresses for JMP Enterprises, and a prior iteration of the firm, “Pierce Burns,” is listed as a debtor. The Karish Kapital restriction on “further encumbering” the listed collateral is noteworthy given the collateral listed in the filing the next day; as well of other filings where Pierce Bainbridge is a debtor.
JMP Enterprises may not be Pierce’s only “side” entity. He we reportedly involved in the incorporation of a litigation financing entity named Talon LF LLC in September 2018; the same month when Pierce reportedly siphoned $95,000 from firm accounts; which was the month after he reportedly siphoned $110,000.
These massive amounts, as well as Pierce claiming he did “not take any salary,” coupled with Pierce’s seven-figure outstanding tax liens, raises eyebrows.
“He Ended Up in Jail”
It appears that Chief SEAL Pierce has basically been dishonorably discharged for now. Where John Mark Pierce and the Pierce Bainbridge firm end up once the dust has settled, remains to be seen; however, Pierce’s recent shenanigans, coupled with the firm’s response, dovetails with an e-mail from a NYC attorney who rejected Pierce’s recruitment efforts in the Summer of 2018; the lawyer stated:
“[John] you have an unsustainable business model. . . Trying to do what you are doing – build a major NYC firm overnight is hugely risky because you need to attract real talent. The last person who tried it in NY was Mark Dreier. He ended up in jail.”
Recently on LawFuel
- The Law Firm Making Crypto-Collapse Millions From The FTX DebacleThe Big Law firm making millions from the FTX crypto empire collapse
- Lawyer of the Year Sees A Less ‘Kind’ Side to Jacinda ArdernThe harshness of the Ardern response to Covid was one reason the ‘kindness’ factor wore off very quickly
- London’s Big Law Firms Brace for Economic Downturn and Rising Recruitment CostsThe lessons of the GFC when law firm headcounts went down have seen …
- Gender Equality Advocate Named First Female President of International Bar Association in Two DecadesAfter a 20 year gap, the International Bar Association has elected its first …
- Which Are The Best Civil Rights Law Firms in NYC?Choosing a top civil rights lawyer in NYC is more than checking online – it involves careful choice based on experience and commitment
- 30 Of The Best Boutique Law Firms AnywhereThe best boutique law firms are focused and effective – here are the top 30 boutique law firms operating today
- Law Firm Survey Shows Challenges Ahead For Law Firms in 2023Thomson Reuters law firm report shows layoffs ahead for big law american law firms
- K&L Gates Expand to Dublin With 48th Office and High Profile Irish LawyerK&L Gates have expanded to Dublin with their 48th office opening, hiring three …
- Key Steps To Obtaining The Best Branding Packages For Small BusinessesWhen selecting branding packages for a small business – including law firms and …
- Two US Big Law Firms Make Major Staffing CutsThe slowdown in legal work has bitten Big Law firm Goodwin Procter who …
- Holland & Knight Merger The First For 2023 Boosts Healthcare PracticeHolland + Knight announce merger to boost their healthcare practice – the first major legal merger of 2023
- ‘Loophole Lawyer’ Who Assisted Form Al Jazeera Journalist To Re-Enter New Zealand Named Lawyer of the YearThe lawyer who obtained entry into New Zealand of former Al Jazeera journalist …