The Crazy Rich Asians star grew up in London and studied law at Worcester College, Oxford, subsequently landing a plum training contract at the London law firm Slaughter and May. But rather than take it, Chan enrolled at the Drama Centre London, where she was spotted by the film producer Damian Jones. She became a model and actress, working on a range of films from horror to thrillers and to ‘Dr Who’ before the ‘Crazy Rich’ success.
But her legal career has helped her with her acting career, despite the fact that she considers herself someone who would not have made a great lawyer. “On the whole, it is quite a different part of the brain: Law is very analytical, and acting is more instinctive and emotionally driven,” she told Modern Luxury Magazine earlier this year.
“But, it does come in handy with learning lines―and reading my own contract.” She had to learn about 2000 cases by heart . . “so I am fairly good at learning scripts quickly.”
- Fox-Batting Barrister Blacklisted, He SaysLondon Barrister Jolyon Maugham hit the social media headlines for killing a fox with a baseball bat over a year […] More
- The Lawyer And The Zoom Cat Filter Mishap – “I’m not a cat”, he saysZoom has been the big boom for the pandemic, but a recent Zoom filter mishap with a US lawyer has […] More
- Donald Trump’s New ‘Power Lawyer’ You May Not Have Heard Of . . But For Bill CosbyTaking on work for Donald Trump for his record, second impeachment trial is not necessarily the sort of brief many […] More
- Waco Lord of the Rings References In Weird Hobbit BriefInsurrectionist and lawyer Paul Davis is also, it would appear, a Lord of the Rings fan. So much so, in […] More
- Florida Lawyer In Jailhouse Sex Filming Loses LicenceA Florida lawyer who filmed himself soliciting sex from three inmates, one being a porn actress in jail, has had […] More
- Another Law Firm Dumps The Trump Legal WorkLaw firm Morgan Lewis & Bockius previously handled tax law representation for former president Donald Trump and his company have […] More
- Facebook for Lawyers – Is A Facebook Group A Good Idea For A Law Firm (And If So, How Do You Create One Easily?)Facebook groups are potentially a hugely effective way to attract attention to your law firm – provided you set it […] More