The LawFuel Lawyer Celebs List
It should come as no surprise that John Grisham holds a law degree. His criminal-justice background likely adds to his novels’ believability. The best-selling crime author earned his law degree from graduated from Mississippi State University and received a J.D. degree from the University of Mississippi School of Law in 1981. He practiced criminal law for about a decade and served in the Mississippi House of Representatives from January 1984 to September 1990.
He began practicing as a criminal defense and personal injury attorney. But a case inspired Grisham to write his first novel, A Time to Kill. Then, Grisham wrote The Firm, which sold more than seven million copies. The book was adapted into a 1993 feature film of the same name, starring Tom Cruise, and a 2012 TV series which continues the story ten years after the events of the film and novel. Eight of his other novels have also been adapted into films: The Chamber, The Client, A Painted House, The Pelican Brief, The Rainmaker, The Runaway Jury, Skipping Christmas, and A Time to Kill.
In 2010, Grisham started writing a series of legal thrillers for children aged 9 to 12 years, which feature a 13 year old, Theodore Boone, who gives his classmates legal advice ranging from rescuing impounded dogs to helping their parents prevent their house from being repossessed. He said, “I’m hoping primarily to entertain and interest kids, but at the same time I’m quietly hoping that the books will inform them, in a subtle way, about law,” he says
- What Can Law Firms And In-House Legal Departments Learn About Law Firm Diversity?AbovetheLaw ran this article from Cadence Counsel’s David Lat, who spoke with a Fortune 500 company’s Legal Diversity Director to learn […] More
- Senior Criminal Lawyer Mark Pomeranz to Help Draw Back The Curtain In Trump Criminal ProbeThe investigation into potential criminal charges against Donald Trump went up a notch this week as US Attorneys appointed Paul Weiss […] More
- Linklaters Set To Join The Ranks Of The Female Law Firm LeadersThree candidates left in the race to succeed Charlie Jacobs as Linklaters’ senior partner It looks like Magic Circle law firm […] More
- Big Law Firm ‘Pandemic Profits’ Continue With Strong GrowthThe Pandemic does not appear to have harmed too many Big Law Firms Big Law continues to report large ‘pandemic profit’ […] More
- Have Hackers Hacked Jones Day, The Privacy Law Experts?It’s an embarrassment for the privacy law firm if true. And we think it may be. A hacker claims to have […] More
- Does The Multi-Billion Dollar Smartmatic Defamation Brief Against FOX & Others Show Some Legal Power Writing?If lawyers needed to read a brief written with a certain hard-biting verve then they need look no further than the […] More
- Donald Trump’s New ‘Power Lawyer’ You May Not Have Heard Of . . But For Bill CosbyTaking on work for Donald Trump for his record, second impeachment trial is not necessarily the sort of brief many lawyers […] More