The COVID pandemic continues to eat into newly qualified (NQ) solicitors’ pay rates with Linkaters being the latest major law firm to announce further cuts to pay – this time a 10 per cent reduction.
In June Allen & Overy and Clifford Chance both cut NQ rates by 10 per cent as a result of the pandemic.
The A&O decrease reduced rates to £90,000 and showed a reversal of the trend towards a pay war among the major UK magic circle law firms.
Last year, A&O lifted its NQ pay from £83,000 the previous year to £100,000 in a bid to retain young talent in the NQ pay war triggered by Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer as at 1 May who had made a large pay increase for NQs who had previously enjoyed pay of £85,000 pay cheque. The firm then lifted that figure by a hefty 18 per cent to pay NQs £100,000 a year as well as entitlement to bonuses.
This increase took Freshfields to the heady levels of the big US law firms like Covington & Burling and Sullivan & Cromwell.
But the days of such healthy increases for the NQs appear to be coming to a close as the pandemic’s effects hit them in the pocket.
More Legal Careers News on LawFuel
- The 23 Reasons Law Firms Will NOT Employ You . . Law Job TipsLaw Firm recruiter’s list for why law firms will reject you A law firm recruiter’s post on the reasons why law firms will not […] More
- Australian law jobs – How Much Do Australian Lawyers Earn?Sign on bonuses and good salaries show Australian law jobs are in good space notwithstanding the difficult 2020 year A recent survey of Australian […] More
- The BigLaw TikTok Lawyer Who Has Become A Major Legal Jobs InfluencerA pandemic-ruined birthday lead to lawyer Cecillia Xie deciding that she would make a video that went viral and lead to her current position […] More
- Corporate law jobs Podcast – How to get the most out of your summer clerkshipAllens Linklaters latest career podcast looks at the summer clerkships and focuses on those seeking a career in corporate law. We know it can […] More
- Remote Working See Chance Of London Legal Salaries FallingReports in London indicate that salaries in the high-paying London legal world, including the much-vaunted Magic Circle law firms, could fall as a result […] More