LOS ANGELES — A teacher at Royal Oak Middle School in Covina, who was arrested last month following an undercover sting in his classroom, was indicted today for child exploitation offenses.
John David Boyle, 49, of Glendora, who is detained pending trial based on a Court finding that he is a danger to the community, has been charged in a six count indictment. The indictment charges Boyle with enticement of a minor to engage in criminal sexual activity over the Internet, which allegedly resulted in the molestation of a 14-year-old boy. Boyle has also been charged with advertisement of child pornography on the Internet, as well as distribution, receipt, attempted receipt, and possession of child pornography.
“Crimes against children violate the most vulnerable among us,” said United States Attorney André Birotte Jr. “This case demonstrates the need for constant vigilance – both online and in our schools – to protect our children and preserve our future generations.”
After communicating with a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) special agent in an Internet chat room, the teacher invited the agent — who had been acting in an undercover capacity — to meet on school premises to view and trade child pornography.
According to the indictment and complaint in this matter, during the course of HSI’s investigation, Boyle is alleged to have engaged in online chats with an undercover agent, believing that the agent shared his sexual interest in young boys. Boyle then set up an in-person meeting in his middle school classroom on Sunday, June 2, 2013, for the purpose of engaging in sexual activity while watching child pornography. When the undercover agent arrived for the meeting and presented Boyle with what he believed was a thumb drive containing child pornography, Boyle took possession of it. At that time, additional HSI agents entered the classroom, interviewed Boyle, and seized his digital devices containing alleged child pornography. Shortly thereafter, Boyle was arrested and charged in a criminal complaint with distributing child pornography. Upon further investigation, HSI agents were able to identify a 14-year-old boy victim of Boyle’s unlawful sexual contact — as alleged in Count One of the Indictment.
“We entrust teachers to serve as role models for our children and safeguard their welfare,” said Claude Arnold, Special Agent in Charge for HSI Los Angeles. “HSI is particularly vigorous in pursuing these kinds of cases because our experience has shown that, in many instances, those who collect and distribute child pornography are also hands-on offenders.”
Boyle is due in court on Tuesday, July 11, 2013 for his post-indictment arraignment. If convicted of the charges in the Indictment, Boyle faces a maximum possible penalty of life in prison.
Anyone with information about this matter is encouraged to call HSI’s toll-free tip line at 1-866-DHS-2ICE (1-866-347-2423) or submit information using HSI’s online tip form at http://www.ice.gov/exec/forms/hsi-tips/tips.asp.
A criminal complaint and Indictment contain allegations that a defendant has committed a crime. Every defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty in court.
The investigation into Boyle is being conducted by HSI and the Internet Crimes Against Children (“ICAC”) Task Force.
CONTACT: Assistant United States Attorney Nicholas A. Trutanich
Violent & Organized Crimes Section
Assistant United States Attorney Terrence P. Mann
Violent & Organized Crimes Section