LAWFUEL- CNN & Associated Press report – New Zealand police opened an investigation Wednesday into the death of a woman using an oxygen pump after the power to her house was cut off because of an unpaid electricity bill.
The mother of four died when a contractor for energy supplier Mercury Energy cut the power to her home in the northern city of Auckland on Tuesday, a relative alleged.
The relative, Brenden Sheehan, said the woman and her son warned a Mercury Energy representative who arrived to disconnect the electricity that she relied on the oxygen machine to stay alive.
“They came to the house and they were aware of the circumstances when (the power) was cut off,” he told National Radio.
He said the company shut power off to the property at 2:00 p.m. local (0200 GMT Tuesday). Shortly afterward the woman became faint, had difficulty breathing, and collapsed.List your legal jobs on the LawFuel Network