Dan Garner* John Mark Pierce is out at Pierce Bainbridge. His own partners have placed him on leave for financial foul play. State government filings show Pierce entering into a lending arrangement with a payday lending type entity at a residential address in Flushing, Queens; a location hounded by reports of unsavory activity.
According to the American Lawyer, a firm spokeswoman said: “A preliminary investigation has revealed that John M. Pierce accepted money from Karish Kapital, LLC for his personal use.”
What Pierce is accused of, may sound unbelievable, but only if you’ve not been paying attention; it aligns with what former partner Don Lewis has said for almost a year.
As a clear example, Lewis’s complaint dated May 16, 2019 alleged:
Pierce Bainbridge has apparently attempted to frame this as an isolated incident. Partner denials are a regular occurence, such as the claims from Michael D. Yim of Putney Twombly and S. Jeanine Conley of Littler Mendelson – defendants in Lewis’s lawsuits against his former firm – claiming ignorance with respect to the overwhelmingly unethical behavior of John Pierce and the Pierce Bainbridge firm.
Lewis Former Partners Are Notified of Pierce’s Financial Shenanigans
Lewis says he made his former partners aware of allegations of financial misconduct in March 2019 and concerns had been expressed regarding those matters since November 2018.
Karish Kapital LLC, John Mark Pierce Enterprises LLC and Talon LF
To secure the Karish Kapital funds, Pierce filed a lien on the assets of the Pierce Bainbridge firm, Pierce individually, and the relatively newly created John M Pierce Enterprises LLC; interestingly, this entity appears on two lending filings in two days (filing one – Karish Kapital (2/25/20) and filing two – unclear (2/26/20).
Notably, the filings list differing addresses for JMP Enterprises, and a prior iteration of the firm, “Pierce Burns,” is listed as a debtor. The Karish Kapital restriction on “further encumbering” the listed collateral is noteworthy given the collateral listed in the filing the next day; as well of other filings where Pierce Bainbridge is a debtor.
JMP Enterprises may not be Pierce’s only “side” entity. He we reportedly involved in the incorporation of a litigation financing entity named Talon LF LLC in September 2018; the same month when Pierce reportedly siphoned $95,000 from firm accounts; which was the month after he reportedly siphoned $110,000.
These massive amounts, as well as Pierce claiming he did “not take any salary,” coupled with Pierce’s seven-figure outstanding tax liens, raises eyebrows.
“He Ended Up in Jail”
It appears that Chief SEAL Pierce has basically been dishonorably discharged for now. Where John Mark Pierce and the Pierce Bainbridge firm end up once the dust has settled, remains to be seen; however, Pierce’s recent shenanigans, coupled with the firm’s response, dovetails with an e-mail from a NYC attorney who rejected Pierce’s recruitment efforts in the Summer of 2018; the lawyer stated:
“[John] you have an unsustainable business model. . . Trying to do what you are doing – build a major NYC firm overnight is hugely risky because you need to attract real talent. The last person who tried it in NY was Mark Dreier. He ended up in jail.”
Recently on LawFuel
- Paul Newman Daughters Sue Over Alleged Breaches By Actor’s Charity FoundationFoley & Lardner LLP is representing Susan Newman and Nell Newman, daughters of the late actor Paul Newman, …
- Ghislaine Maxwell’s 20 Year Sentence – US Attorney ReleaseBritish socialite Ghislaine Maxwell was found guilty on 29 December by a federal …
- Is The Lawyer on Demand Model Working – Should Lawyers Adopt the Model?Axiom has been successful with its Lawyer on Demand model, but it may …
- Big Law’s Big Fee Growth ContinuesPaul Hastings has seen a major growth spurt post-COVID but other firms are …
- Who Are The Oligarchs Lawyers And The ‘Lawfare’ Claims Made In Their Names?Oligarch lawyers in the UK are named and lawfare claims face increased scrutiny
- UK Debate Shines Spotlight on Lawyers Who Act For Oligarchs‘Londongrad’ is under threat with the Ukraine war and the pressure on ‘enabling’ …
- The BigLaw Partners Earning Big Money at Kirkland & Ellis . . And Where That Leaves The RestKirkland & Ellis is a billion dollar revenue machine but it still faces issues attracting key legal talent – why?
- Legal Services Immunity in the Face of the Pandemic‘What pandemic?’ the legal services markets seem to say . . Legal services …
- The Power Lady Lawyer Who Has Depleted Boies Schiller in LondonThe Power lady lawyer who has set up her own litigation power house law firm in London
- Stripping Prince Andrew – But The Legal Sex-Suit Troubles Remain UnaddressedBuckinham Palace has removed the Duke of York’s royal privileges, but the recent …
- The Sanity-Defying Faustian Pact Struck By Biglaw Junior LawyersThe salaries may be eye-popping and the addition to their CVs prestigious, but …
- How Technology Will Shape Law Firm Success in 2022Law firm success in 2022 will depend upon technology to retain legal talent and obtain new clients