Dan Garner* John Mark Pierce is out at Pierce Bainbridge. His own partners have placed him on leave for financial foul play. State government filings show Pierce entering into a lending arrangement with a payday lending type entity at a residential address in Flushing, Queens; a location hounded by reports of unsavory activity.
According to the American Lawyer, a firm spokeswoman said: “A preliminary investigation has revealed that John M. Pierce accepted money from Karish Kapital, LLC for his personal use.”
What Pierce is accused of, may sound unbelievable, but only if you’ve not been paying attention; it aligns with what former partner Don Lewis has said for almost a year.
As a clear example, Lewis’s complaint dated May 16, 2019 alleged:
Pierce Bainbridge has apparently attempted to frame this as an isolated incident. Was the notion of financial misfeasance a surprise to the firm? Partner denials are a regular occurence, such as the claims from Michael D. Yim of Putney Twombly and S. Jeanine Conley of Littler Mendelson – defendants in Lewis’s lawsuits against his former firm – claiming ignorance with respect to the overwhelmingly unethical behavior of John Pierce and the Pierce Bainbridge firm.
Well over a year ago that partner Christopher N. LaVigne, expressed serious concerns about Pierce’s financial dealings.
LaVigne in Fall 2018 – Firm Taxes
LaVigne in Fall 2018 – Pierce Should Be Reported
LaVigne after receiving details about Pierce siphoning $200,000 in firm funds in August and September 2018 and directing the bookkeeper to use firm funds for his $21,000/month alimony payments.
Lewis Former Partners Are Notified of Pierce’s Financial Shenanigans
Lewis made his former partners aware of allegations of financial misconduct in March 2019 and concerns had been expressed regarding those matters since November 2018. A letter Lewis’ sent to all of his former partners (from his counsel) stated:
The partners who received that letter, all of whom received the draft complaint, are (with prior stations in parentheticals):
Amman Khan (Glaser Weill), Andy Lorin (Drinker Riddle & Reath), Carolynn Beck (Murchison & Cumming), Caroline Polisi (former PB partner), Christopher N. LaVigne (Success Academy Charter Schools), Conor McDonough (Paul Weiss), Craig Bolton (Wilson Sonsini), David L. Hecht (Steptoe & Johnson), Doug Curran (Covington & Burling), Eric M. Creizman (now at Armstrong Teasedale), James D. Bainbridge (unknown), Jonathan Sorkowitz (White & Case), Max Price (Quinn Emanuel), Melissa Madrigal (now at Armstrong Teasedale), Mike Pomerantz (Grais & Ellsworth) and Patrick Bradford (New York City Council).
Karish Kapital LLC, John Mark Pierce Enterprises LLC and Talon LF
To secure the Karish Kapital funds, Pierce filed a lien on the assets of the Pierce Bainbridge firm, Pierce individually, and the relatively newly created John M Pierce Enterprises LLC; interestingly, this entity appears on two lending filings in two days (filing one – Karish Kapital (2/25/20) and filing two – unclear (2/26/20).
Notably, the filings list differing addresses for JMP Enterprises, and a prior iteration of the firm, “Pierce Burns,” is listed as a debtor. The Karish Kapital restriction on “further encumbering” the listed collateral is noteworthy given the collateral listed in the filing the next day; as well of other filings where Pierce Bainbridge is a debtor.
JMP Enterprises may not be Pierce’s only “side” entity. He we reportedly involved in the incorporation of a litigation financing entity named Talon LF LLC in September 2018; the same month when Pierce reportedly siphoned $95,000 from firm accounts; which was the month after he reportedly siphoned $110,000.
These massive amounts, as well as Pierce claiming he did “not take any salary,” coupled with Pierce’s seven-figure outstanding tax liens, raises eyebrows.
“He Ended Up in Jail”
It appears that Chief SEAL Pierce has basically been dishonorably discharged for now. Where John Mark Pierce and the Pierce Bainbridge firm end up once the dust has settled, remains to be seen; however, Pierce’s recent shenanigans, coupled with the firm’s response, dovetails with an e-mail from a NYC attorney who rejected Pierce’s recruitment efforts in the Summer of 2018; the lawyer stated:
“[John] you have an unsustainable business model. . . Trying to do what you are doing – build a major NYC firm overnight is hugely risky because you need to attract real talent. The last person who tried it in NY was Mark Dreier. He ended up in jail.”
Recently on LawFuel
- NY Bar Association Seek To Dump Rudy Giuliani From MembershipIn what may be his greatest indignity – after a mounting compost heap […] More
- 18 Law Firms Ask VP Pence to Invoke 25th Amendment To Remove Trumpstitutional Democracy Washington – January 8, 2021: Eighteen law firms joined Crowell & […] More
- Pandemic Drives Law Firm Mergers Down in 2020Law firm mergers have been hit by the coronavirus pandemic. Mergers dropped by […] More
- The Lasting Litigation Legacy Left By A Leading QC – For Litigators EverywhereThe death on Christmas eve of one of Britain’s leading barristers, Edmund King […] More
- The Lawyers’ Vacation Truce – It May Not Exist But 2021 Is Here With, Or Without ItWhen AbovetheLaw writer and lawyer Jordan Rothman wrote about a ‘holiday truce’ for […] More
- Law Firm Disrupter Keystone Picked As A Top 2021 StockKeystone Law is a so-called ‘platform-based’ law firm that lets offices work from […] More
- The Worst of The Trump PardonsTrump’s recent pardons have followed form – a cot-throwing, screw you attitude towards […] More
- Big Law & Boutique Law Firm Bonuses Boost Law PayThe Big Law firms have been kicking off their bonuses with some using […] More
- ‘Black Box’ Pay Discrimination Claims Against Jones Day DroppedThe discrimination lawsuit brought by plaintiffs across the United States and against Jones […] More
- Claims of ‘Fearsome’ Quinn Emanuel ‘Boys Club’ RejectedAn alleged ‘boys’ club’ culture at top firm Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan […] More
- “Dear Sir, No More’ – Clifford Chance Uses Robots To Gender Neutralise Its Legal DocumentsClifford Chance is to ‘neutralize’ gender-specific language from its legal documents by using […] More
- Bernie Madoff Distributions: Further $488 Million Distributed to VictimsPayments Are the Sixth Distribution in a Series of Payments That Together Will […] More